Please help me silence my low-end computer
Oct 19, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
replace the CPU heatsink with Arctic silver ceramique thermal compound and a Thermalright SI97 heatsink. you might be able to go passive on this (any idea what core your 1800+ is? palomino or throughbred?)

Really? I have an XP1800+ and an XP2600+, and find them to be hot. I'm running it with a very large copper heatsink (a thermaltake of some kind) with the fan at 5v, and it idles at 50. Under load it's 55C. Ambient room temperature is about 28-30C. I have three 92mm case fans, all at 12V. And I use Arctic silver: it brought the temperature down by 1 degree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
lastly, you can underclock your CPU. since the A7N8X is known to be a decent overclocker in the 462 world, underclocking shouldnt be too hard. you should start by dropping the vcore as low as possible while still being able to maintain the 1.6ghz (or was it 1.5?).

I was under the impression that to underclock I would have to unlock the processor/bridge pins OR get an undervoltable mobo. I also have an Asus motherboard (not the same one as you mentioned) which can overclock very well -- but cannot underclock. Asus are not well known for underclocking capability in socket A.

I'm actually fed up with trying to cool and quieten my socket A's -- so I'm going for a skt 754 mobo + Semprom 64 3400+ and a new heatsink, fully undervoltable, less than $300.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #32 of 34
You should have tried running your GPU with the fan off first before deciding if you need the Zalman after all.

I also don't mean to rustle (too many of) your feathers, but I don't think the decision to go with the Thermaltake is a wise one. Even if the Sonictower is cheaper, the Ninja's better spaced fin will give better fanless performance. I don't know about the Sonictower mounting, but if it is anything like its brother Silenttower, it is a PITA to attach. The Ninja on the other hand clips on very easily.

Regards.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #33 of 34
One thing I know, fanless 103 / a64 3200+ / 6600gt / antec 350W phantom works with the strategy I just explained. The fan starts only for 3d.

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #34 of 34
if you want a cool CPU go for venice 3000+... better than any XP... you can undervolt it a lot and run stock freq and even higher...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back