Please help me select a good 3 or 5 DVD/CD player at <$200
Apr 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Feather225

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I am setting up a lil cinema in my apartment~ My budget is $1000 (starving college student ^ ^). The TV already costs me $650~ so I have around $350-$400 to purchase a nice DVD/CD player with some nice speakers~

I am looking for a 3 or 5 DVD/CD changer with HDMI output for less than $200, also some good speakers for less than $200 (best value)~
I'm not worried about the video quality for the DVD/CD player, but definitely the audio quality...

I'm new in this field, please give me some advise if possible..

Thank you so much!
Feather

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 6
Apr 26, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks man, but that one is a single speakers...
How about this deal?
Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer (Pair)

it has 2 speakers and a woofer for $180, don't know how doesn't it compares to the Polk audio monitors in terms of sound quality...

The DVD player, I just want one that has great audio quality and 5 disc changer with HDMI output...it will be great if you can show me a product link.

thanks a lot...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know if this deal is still good but its pretty cost effective...
Polk Audio Monitor 60's $114.99 shipped at New Egg - [H]ard|Forum
as for the cd/dvd player just get a denon universal in your price range

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 6
lol they're going to be terrible, you asked for good they won't be that.. If you've only got $180 buy a set of bookshelfs. As for the CD/DVD player for your money buy a single tray type. To get quality floorstanders that are 3 way, multiple driver you're looking at close end of £1000. Increase your budget for the speakers.

Arcam players have good sound quality. That's if you're using analogue out, if you're using digital out it doesn't matter. Why are you not concerned with picture quality as well? But Arcam's are over your budget. I'd pickup a Oppo 981.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 6
I thought about the bookshelfs...but floorstanders look better ^ ^ I'm just wondering whats the difference between the sony one and the Polk audio one...are they gonna be similar quality or Polk audio is superior?...

I don't need $1000 speakers since my room is tiny, and I'm saving money for a HD800...
OPPO 981 look good...but is single tray...I wanted a 5 discs changer. will definitely think about it.. my TV is only 32", I probably won't even notice any video quality difference + actresses look prettier when the video quality isn't that good..
Should I consider the center channel speakers too? maybe around $100...

I'm not really a speaker fun, just a beginner, so I don't wanna spent too much money on it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol they're going to be terrible, you asked for good they won't be that.. If you've only got $180 buy a set of bookshelfs. As for the CD/DVD player for your money buy a single tray type. To get quality floorstanders that are 3 way, multiple driver you're looking at close end of £1000. Increase your budget for the speakers.

Arcam players have good sound quality. That's if you're using analogue out, if you're using digital out it doesn't matter. Why are you not concerned with picture quality as well? But Arcam's are over your budget. I'd pickup a Oppo 981.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 6
If your room is tiny, get bookshelfs. Floorstanders in a small room will just sound boomy. Take this from someone who made this mistake a few years ago.

Forget quality with $200 floorstanders, they're going to be crap. You don't have to get get expensive speakers, but since you have a lower budget you have to be realistic. A set of £200 bookshelfs will sound better than £200 floorstanders.

I use a pair of B&W 601 speakers for the computer system, you want something like that.

As for center double your budget, it's an important speaker in a home system. A B&W CC6 or something similar is a good start. The one I use is about $1500.

Single tray optical players are usually higher quality, those multi discs are built to a replace point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back