Please help me replace my Sleek SA6
Jun 29, 2011 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Coop47

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I was pretty active here years ago, but settled on some gear and decided to get out while I still had some money left.  However, I started a new job a few weeks ago that has a 45 minute train commute, so I dug out my Sleek SA6 that I had barely used and attached a cable I had never used.  The cable last three weeks before fraying, and while Sleek customer service has been great at replacing parts, I've reached the end of my rope with their build quality.

So now I'm in the market for some new IEMs. After doing a little research, I'm overwhelmed.  I hate to start a new thread, but I'm lost.  Here's the criteria:

Budget: $50 - $150
Build Quality: Excellent, able to hold up to being taken in and out of a case twice a day.
Sound Isolation: Good, but doesn't have to be great
Source: iPod, iPhone, iPad
Music:  Classic rock, jazz, classical, acoustic
Preferably compatible with the Shure Olives that I have been using with my Sleeks, or Comply T500.  Both seem to fit my ears pretty well.

I was leaning towards the Spider Realvoice, but just read that the build quality is questionable.  I don't abuse my gear, but I would like something that will stand up to use.  If someone can make suggestions and if possible point me towards a good place to purchase, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Coop

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 10
i've had good luck with my SA6's. they dont seem all that fragile to me.... i am pretty easy on my stuff though. i absolutely love the sound. they are my portable HD650's.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Etymotic HF3/HF5, RE0, Fischer DBA-02. The RE0 does not work with Shure Olives, but all of the others do.

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks Cali - the info about the tips is particularly helpful.

Quote:
i've had good luck with my SA6's. they dont seem all that fragile to me.... i am pretty easy on my stuff though. i absolutely love the sound. they are my portable HD650's.

I love the comfort and sound of the SA6s and the customer service is top notch.  I bought an early pair when they were still working out build issues on the earpieces, and they sent me a new and improved set at no charge.  Those seem to be a lot better, but the cables I've had don't seem to stand up to everyday use.  My latest cable came apart after two and a half weeks of careful use.  It's frustrating because I really like the cans and the company a lot.  I've gotten years of use out of my Koss KSC75s and wish the Sleeks were even half as well built.  I'd still recommend them to people who were keeping them beside the bed and not using them for commuting.

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 10
Panasonic HJE900 are well built and has removable cable with great sound quality, few other IEMs are also recommended like TF10Pro(highely recommended)GR07, Radius DDM, FX500, ER4P, EX600 and PFE112.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Brainwavz B2 seems to be identical to Fischer DBA-02 except for color and is available from Amazon. I've loved my DBA's for the last year, good to know that there's another source. IMHO they're fabulous with all the music genres you mention, and everything else.

The DBA's work with Shure Olives (very snug fit when you take them off), but I think the Comply T200's are the right size for that nozzle. I'm still on my first pair of Shure grey "Soft Flex" tips.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the info, folks.  The Brainwavz sound really interesting and I'm trying to figure out if the B2 is worth the extra money over the M2.  ZARIM - I have used the Triple Fi 10's in the past and love them, but they seem over budget, at least from prices I've seen online.

Again, thanks.  It's amazing how many brands have been introduced since I was last hanging around here. It's a very different landscape for IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back