Please help me pick some cans that cost $100 oe less
May 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

s1mp13m4n

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. My birthday is coming up and I have been asked to make a list of both inexpensive and more costly items that my wife and mother can pick from. I would like a set of open full size headphones but I am not sure what to pick based on my setup that I now have. My main music type is Christian top 40. I also use my headphones for watching movies and TV shows on the computer. Here is what I own:
Headroom Total Bithead amp
Sony MDR-V6 closed headphones
Sennheiser PX100
Shure SR215 IEM

The total bithead is connected to my laptop and is my soundcard and amp for the Sony MDR-V6. I mainly use the Shure and Sennheiser headphones on my iPod Touch with no amp. Knowing all of this, what do you think are some headphones that I should listen to? Thanks for the help.

May 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 6
You could take a look at the AKG K240 Studio. A great headphone, in my opinion. Nice sound, I loved the midrange on these things. I've always loved them for a variety of music types.

May 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
$100 or less is my price range. :)

If you fancy modding...apparently theres a mod for Grado-SR60 to make them open backed...and for the price there isnt much better according to the modders...

I have a pair of DT770 that I LOVE for watching TV shows and movies on my comp...considered the best movie and gaming can for cheap...and for a closed can the soundstage is HUGE, sorry if its not what your after but i think you should consider one if you can find one for cheap...a few used ones floating around too!!!! 

May 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 6
The Grados don't have any sound stage, so they won't be very good for movies and the DT 770 (in any version) is way above your budget.

Consider the AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones,  Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones and Samson SR850 Semi-Open Studio Reference Headphones. 

If the budget can stretch to $130 shipped, you can pick up the Sennheiser HD 518 Headphones from Amazon.  If not, there is the discontinued Sennheiser HD515 Dynamic Stereo Sound Audiophile 500 Series Headphones for $90 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back