Please help me pick one ( Cavalli LG, RSA Dark Star, Woo wa5le, etc with Audeze Lcd-3
Apr 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ohmmzz

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am brand new here.
Firstly, I have to say that I am not a native speaker. So, some sentences might be confusing LOL.

Now, I am considering to buy a head amp whether Cavalli LG, RSA Dark Star, etc to pair with my Audeze Lcd-3.
Which one is the best for my listening styles ( Vocal, pop, Jazz, Classic, blue, country)
Any recommendations?

My system consist of

Audeze LCD3
Wyred 4 sound DAC 2
ALO S&P cable
power cords : Nordost Heimdall2, Vishnu
Current amp : Woo WA6SE with upgrades tubes
Inter connect: Anti cable

These system can't satisfy my need. Vocal isn't sweet, high isn't clear, bass isn't deep, strong, and clear.

I used to have a stereo system (which was very satisfied my need) I love sound from my Harbeth SHL-5 paired with Accuphase Dp-67

Thanks,
Ohm

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 15
what tubes u got on the WA6-SE?

the 596 and 6GL7 do a really good job with both Audeze LCD-2 and 3. I couldn't enjoy my Audeze until I got that combination, and a few people i recommended it to enjoyed it as well.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 15
I got Sophia 274B / 6EM7 / and stock sylvania

Well, it's sound acceptable, but I want something better than this.
Moreover, when I used 6EM7, I heard some noise and hum. Although their sound clear (but not enough) and added more gain, its sound not smooth to my ears. Am I expected too much about headphones.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 15
stock sylvania (6ew7 i believe right?) and sophia isn't good for the LCD-3. the 6ew7 lack bass and focus while the sophia lacks tightness and is a little too smooth for the LCD-3

the 6EM7/6GL7 tends to be a little congested, muddy,  and aggressive with sophia and a few other tubes (like the GZ34), but, i find that it pairs very well with the 596 rectifier. 

the 596 is very clear sounding, has smoothness in the midrange, and controls the bass from being muddy. it has treble that really brings out the high end in the LCD-3. very transparent tube.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 15
As dubstep said ^

Otherwise, i'd go for a solid state amp (Dark star/soloist) in case you want to try something different. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 15
"the 6EM7/6GL7 tends to be a little congested, muddy,  and aggressive with sophia and a few other tubes"

I totally agreed with your point.

I am wondering, are these amps (Cavalli LG,RSA Dark Star, and Woo Wa5le) will bring me to another level of sound?
If yes, which one should I choose. (or just change the tubes for WA6SE)

Thanks,

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
"the 6EM7/6GL7 tends to be a little congested, muddy,  and aggressive with sophia and a few other tubes"

I totally agreed with your point.

I am wondering, are these amps (Cavalli LG,RSA Dark Star, and Woo Wa5le) will bring me to another level of sound?
If yes, which one should I choose. (or just change the tubes for WA6SE)

Thanks,

theres a review somewhere that says the WA5-LE isn't a very good pairing with LCD-2/LCD-3, not sure if thats true though. the LG or DS would definitely be better, but not necessarily by a large margin, i cannot comment how much so since i haven't heard them personally.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 15
Thank you so much Dubstep.
smile.gif

I think I am gonna pick one btw, either Cavalli LG or RSA Dark Star. I hate to jump in blind again, but I can't live with wondering about how much better those amp can perform with my LCD3. I will toss a coin up, if I can't get any opinions about Cavalli LG or RSA Dark Star paired with LCD-3. I really hate this hobby LOL.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 15
I would get a eddie currant BA. Great with the lcd3.

May 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Any update or news on purchase??

I just got Cavalli Liquid Glass yesterday. Can't explain its sound signature yet, but I really like the operating system such as( delay 20 second for tubes and etc, pretty safe for amps and headphones). Is it worth 3X the price than Woo Wa6se hmmm? (I have to figure it out).

May 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
I just got Cavalli Liquid Glass yesterday. Can't explain its sound signature yet, but I really like the operating system such as( delay 20 second for tubes and etc, pretty safe for amps and headphones). Is it worth 3X the price than Woo Wa6se hmmm? (I have to figure it out).

rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 15
TRY rolling tubes on the woo amp you have . its cheaper as the amp you have is good and not a waist of time to try. you can always sell it if in the end you do not satisfy what you are looking for .

also try to comment on what you feel you are missing in the sound . remember also you may be looking for a sound signature that the lcd3 cannot give you.

I hope this helps you.
AL.D.

May 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
TRY rolling tubes on the woo amp you have . its cheaper as the amp you have is good and not a waist of time to try. you can always sell it if in the end you do not satisfy what you are looking for .

also try to comment on what you feel you are missing in the sound . remember also you may be looking for a sound signature that the lcd3 cannot give you.

I hope this helps you.
AL.D.

Thanks ALRAINBOW, for the feedback.

Actually, I have returned Wa6se for a while, moreover Wa6se already swapped tubes like Sophia and 6em7. At first I thought my LCD 3 is dull and lacks sparkling sound, but the real issue is the matching, the 6SE and the Wyred dac 2 combo are not that good(IMO). Now I use a Liquid Glass with wyred dac 2 and Moon 380D(demo) via USB, the sound is more open,relax,focus and etc, but still lack of the very top high and deep bass. The next thing that I wanna do is to upgrade tubes. May be CV181 Shuguang treasure.
happy_face1.gif

May 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 15
Give it a couple of weeks for the LG to break in. Then try some Ecc33 or Ecc34 with your LCD3. With the LG you got an almost infinite choices of octal and noval tubes along with their other variants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back