please help me out with good jazz..
Jan 31, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 85
OP....here's a handful of current players with a CD suggestion you might enjoy:

Michael Brecker "Pilgrimage" (sadly passed away last year)

Joe Lovano "From The Soul"

Chris Potter "Follow the Red Line: Live at the Village Vanguard"

Keith Jarrett "Still Live"

Frank Kimbrough "Lullabluebye"

Brad Mehldau Art of the Trio, vol 5

Bill Charlap "Live at the Village Vanguard"

Mulgrew Miller "Live at the Kennedy Center"

Pat Metheny several to choose from. Older ones too like "Bright Size Life" and "Wichita Falls"

Bill Frisell "Good Dog, Happy Man"

Kurt Rosenwinkel "Deep Song"

Marc Johnson "Bass Desires"

Young Lions:
Stefon Harris (get "Evolution"...wow)
Gerald Clayton
Christian Scott
Robert Glasper
Dave Douglas
Jason Moran

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone in this forum seems to recommend post bop on for some reason. But there's much more good stuff on the other side of 1960 than there is on this end of it.

I think there's a simple reason that the recommendations kinda pick up in the '50s: Before that, full-length albums weren't really available. It was more about singles, 78s, whatever, back then, which is precisely what's happening again with the advent of the mp3. That's why the only way to hear Fats Waller, say, is on best-of/overview type compilations (like the recent 3-CD box If You Got To Ask, You Ain't Got It!) or on a Ken Burns Jazz disc. The Burns comps are quite good, but personally, I don't like the idea of Burns' name sharing cover space with, say, Thelonious Monk's.

A few early things off the top of my head:

Duke Ellington The Best of the Duke Ellington Centennial Edition
FYI: Ellington made fantastic records in the album era, too, like Such Sweet Thunder, The Far East Suite and …And His Mother Called Him Bill.

Benny Goodman The Complete RCA Victor Small Group Recordings or Peggy Lee & Benny Goodman: The Complete Recordings, 1941–1947

Louis Armstrong The Ultimate Collection or The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings
FYI: If you can find one, Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man is a great representation of the Hot Fives and Sevens period; the liner essays are a bit better.

Billie Holiday Lady Day: The Master Takes and Singles or The Ultimate Collection

Coleman Hawkins Body & Soul
FYI: He's another early jazzer who made great records during the album era.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wanting to get away from the "Big Band" sound and migrate more towards the intimacy of the quartets and quintets.

There were tons of small groups in the golden age of jazz... Benny Goodman, Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong Hot Fives, King Cole Trio, Slim Gaillard, Louis Jordan, John Kirby, Venuti & Lang, Reinhart & Grappeli, Red Norvo, etc... Classic jazz was a lot more than just big band. The move away from big bands was more of a financial one than a creative one. It was hard to keep solvent moving an orchestra around the country.

See ya
Steve

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaduffy007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But...look at what was produced from the late 50's thru the mid-60's and it's MINDBOGGLING! The quality and quantity of that period has not even remotely been approached since.

The rapid rate of change and increased sophistication between 1928 and 1938 is even more mind boggling. I'll agree that the fifties were more important than the forties, but that's because of the War and the recording ban poking a hole in the middle of jazz. But the thirties are when it all happened and happened big.

See ya
Steve

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #20 of 85
Quote:

…the thirties are when it all happened and happened big.

Y'know, I can't speak for anyone else, but even though I started listening to jazz decades ago from the cutting-edge side (Ornette, Cecil Taylor, David Murray, Henry Threadgill, John Coltrane), it wasn't until I got into Duke Ellington's turn-of-the-'40s stuff that everything else (Mingus, Charlie Parker, Thelonious, Gil Evans) made sense. Oddly enough, I found Ellington because Cecil Taylor used to mention him in interviews—a lot.

Oh, and I noticed that someone mentioned the arranger Bill Holman; try his Monk disc Brilliant Corners: The Music Of Thelonious Monk. It's like he's totally reimagined things.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

The rapid rate of change and increased sophistication between 1928 and 1938 is even more mind boggling. I'll agree that the fifties were more important than the forties, but that's because of the War and the recording ban poking a hole in the middle of jazz. But the thirties are when it all happened and happened big.

See ya
Steve

I think we must be using very different measuring sticks. While I don't want to diminish the tremendous contributions of Armstrong, etc....I can't see much of an argument for the 1928-1938 period. Quite weak actually.

Hawkins' "Body and Soul" was a precursor to Bebop...that's 1939. Parker, Dizzy...created Bebop in the 40's. Ask jazz musicians of today who influenced them...you're gonna hear Miles, Coltrane, Evans over and over and OVER again. And who influenced Miles, Coltrane and Evans??? Parker, Powell, etc...boppers.

Secondly....look at jazz historians top 100 lists...and the lists will reflect the overwhelming impact of the late 50s thru mid-60s.

This isn't a critique of what you may enjoy listening to the most...simply that in terms of musicality and historical significance...the bottom line is clear.

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

As a student of jazz for 30 years (degree in jazz composition from Berklee, etc)...I can only share why *I* (and MANY) gravitate toward the jazz of the 50's and 60's....

There is NO WAY anyone can do justice to this topic in a forum post...but....

Innovation would be a major reason. The level of sophistication in the music too. Strong arguments can also be made for Bebop especially...and the other periods to a lesser degree imo. But...look at what was produced from the late 50's thru the mid-60's and it's MINDBOGGLING! The quality and quantity of that period has not even remotely been approached since.

That jazz musicians TODAY are still exploring the boundaries of what was CREATED in that period says it all imo. **At least from a musician's perspective**, there is a HUGE difference between replicating vs CREATING. Most of what we hear in jazz today falls much closer to replication "with a twist" if we're lucky(!)...versus creating new ground. IMO, the "juice" of creating the new ground is heard and felt in the music of that period. It reminds me of when Dizzy told me "you can't play bebop" in 1979. While true, I sucked at playing bop
wink.gif
...he explained to me over time, that all I could was replicate. Replicate well or in my case, poorly...it didn't matter. It was a music of an era and culture. So to hear the "creative spark" of that music, one should listen to those who created it THEN. Dizzy, Parker, Monk, Bud Powell, etc.

For those that love the jazz of the 20s, 30s, 40's...GREAT! But...what does it say that almost no one in jazz musician circles today has an interest in exploring it further? Answer....the music (generally speaking) has FAR more limiting boundaries. It's feels "done".

OTOH...if you want to explore what *is* being done today in the spirit of Kenton and Woody....run, don't walk to my old mentor's:
Bill Holman's "Hommage"
Amazon.com: Hommage: Music: Bill Holman

Happy to read the criticisms of the Ken Burns series. It represented a VERY prejudiced perspective. Thank you Wynton.
mad.gif

Very cool insight. Thanks for the post. So you and Dizzy were tight? Awesomeness!

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #24 of 85
Thelonious Monk 1957 recordings at Carnegie Hall featuring John Coltrane.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #26 of 85
Quote:

Here's an essential starter library list: For each artist...I tried to put the most important album first in the list, except for Coltrane. I put Crescent first because it's more accessible...AND...it *is* my favorite Coltrane album. (Joe Lovano, Joshua Redman and other sax players agree btw). Historical significance speaking though...Love Supreme would be the first pick.

Also...check out allaboutjazz.com for suggestions....

Essential Jazz Collection by Artist:

Miles Davis: Kind Of Blue, ESP, Milestones, Miles Smiles, Cookin', Sketches Of Spain, 'Round About Midnight, Bitches Brew (I rarely listen to BB)

John Coltrane: Crescent, A Love Supreme, Blue Train, Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, Live at The Village Vanguard 1961 (Master Takes).

Bill Evans: Waltz For Debby, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Portrait In Jazz, Explorations, Highlights from Turn Out The Stars, You Must Believe In Spring

Thelonious Monk: Brilliant Corners, Monk's Music, Thelonious In Action, Thelonious Himself, Monk and Coltrane At Carnegie Hall, Live At The It Club.

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus, Tenor Madness, Way Out West, The Bridge

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um, Black Saint And Sinner Lady

Herbie Hancock: Maiden Voyage, Empyrean Isles, Speak Like A Child

Art Blakey: Moanin', The Big Beat, A Night In Tunisia, A Night At Birdland 1&2, Free For All

Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else, At The Lighthouse, Know What I Mean

Oliver Nelson: The Blues and the Abstract Truth

Duke Ellington: At Newport 1956

Dave Brubeck: Take Five

Hank Mobley: Soul Station, Work Out, Roll Call

Lee Morgan: Search For A New Land, Sidewinder

Freddie Hubbard: Ready For Freddie, Open Sesame, Here To Stay

McCoy Tyner: The Real McCoy

Sonny Clark: Cool Struttin', Sonny's Crib

Dexter Gordon: Go!, A Swingin' Affair, Our Man In Paris

Wayne Shorter: Speak No Evil

Joe Henderson: Inner Urge, Page One, Our Thing, New York Reunion (from 1991 with McCoy Tyner, Al Foster, Ron Carter)

Horace Silver: Song For My Father, The Cape Of Verdean Blues

Grant Green: Idle Moments

-----------------------------------------
Optional: (because it's more "out")

Eric Dolphy: Out To Lunch

Andrew Hill: Point Of Departure, Black Fire, Judgement

Jackie McLean: It's Time, Right Now!, Let Freedom Ring, Jacknife, Destination Out!

Any post 1964 Coltrane, but be prepared for a wild ride!
------------------------------------------

IMO...once you know this music...THEN one can truly "get" where current players are trying to go. That's not to say it's mandatory to enjoy current players, but it will serve you in building your appreciation and understandiing of jazz. Fwiw, 90% of my listening is from this period (60's).

First ten to get ?? (in no particular order)
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
Cannonball Adderley Something Else
Bill Evans-Waltz for Debby
John Coltrane Crescent
Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage
Hank Mobley Soul Station
Joe Henderson Inner Urge
Freddie Hubbard Ready for Freddie
Dexter Gordon A Swingin' Affair
Horace Silver Song for my Father

#11: Oliver Nelson: The Blues and the Abstract Truth

Hope this is helpful....

Incredibly well chosen selection!
I second jaduffy007 completely in this recommendation.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #27 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duke Ellington & Ray Brown This One's For Blanton

I have a vinyl transfer from the Fantasy 45. Worth every penny
biggrin.gif

Nice "tasty" recommendation!

To keep this thread going....

I entirely left out vocals from my suggestions, so for those that lean in that direction, here are my favs:

Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane (got a hot date? Hartman will not let you down
smily_headphones1.gif

Ella Fitzgerald: "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie"
Someone else already mentioned Ella's Songbooks...the Cole Porter being my favorite. Definitive work.

Sarah Vaughan: At Mr. Kelley's, After Hours, S.V. with Clifford Brown

Shirley Horn: Here's To Life

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #28 of 85
One more for Fitzgerald:

Pure Ella Just her and pianist Ellis Larkins, all Gershwin tunes.

Excellent box set:

Miss Peggy Lee

Another superlative vocal album:

Carmen McRae Sings Lover Man and Other Billie Holiday Classics
Actually a bit surprised by how little love there seems to be for Billie around here.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #29 of 85
Many good recordings have been mentioned here, including all the memes...

I continue to be amazed at how little anyone here knows anything substantive about Stan Getz. Maybe it was his mid-1960s Bossa Nova period (which BTW produced the No. 2 in all-time sales jazz recording) just stuck too hard, as in Girl-From-Ipanema-End-Of-Story. Well, unlike many of his peers that died young, Stan made it to 64 and IMO his last 10 years were just about the closest thing I've ever heard to musical perfection. His jazz was never "easy listening" but has always been easy to listen to - highly recommended, especially for someone new to jazz. Man, Trane's Love Supreme for a noob? Puh-leeze! </endrant>

So here's a few...

Stan Getz - "People Time" or "Bossas and Ballads: The Lost Sessions"
Oliver Nelson - Blues and the Abstract Truth
Eddie Daniels - To Bird With Love (Eddie pwns clarinet, like Toots...)
"Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers" - (Trk1 is "Alamode" best Messengers by far IMO)
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

Take a break from Miles with:
Roy Hargrove - With The Tenors Of Our Time
Tom Harrell - "Village Vanguard" or "Form" (man what a story HE is)
Lee Morgan - any or all, can't go wrong, see Blakey above.

And a few vocals...
"Cannonball Adderley & Nancy Wilson"
Sarah Vaughan - Crazy And Mixed Up (W-O-W!!)
Mark Murphy - Bop For Kerouac
The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album (Tony's best!)
Bob Dorough and Dave Frishberg - Who's On First (Fun!!)

So there is $.02 from me... Enjoy.

Jim, aka 251

Users who are viewing this thread

Back