Please help me make the correct decision
Oct 22, 2018 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Nemick

New Head-Fier
A Long time ago, I purchased a mobile set up from Headroom. It consisted of Etymotic ER4S IEM's, a Headroom Cosmic amp and a carry case for all of it. I used a regular portable CD player from Panasonic as source.

This set up was fairly expensive at the time and to be honest, I found it to be quite disappointing back then. I liked the Etymotics but the amp didn't seem to add any additional volume and only marginally improved the overall sound. I parked the whole set up about 8 years ago when I stopped traveling.

The Etymotics are the old, original 2 pin variety and I still think they sound pretty damned good, but just not loud enough. These days I stream my own lossless music via JRemote (JRMC) through my iPhone 6+. It sounds great but its just too low on volume.

I am planning to purchase a Fiio A5 to use with my iPhone and 2014 MacBook Pro. Can someone confirm that the A5 will drive the ER4S IEM's to stupid levels? I don't want to listen at stupid levels but right now pretty much everything is maxed out volume wise and I need more. My ears are undoubtedly not as good as they were in my youth, but I need my music louder when its at high quality.

All input appreciated.

Neil M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back