Please help me identify a USB DAC dongle that is NOS and tube sounding
Jan 25, 2023 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I would like to connect my iPhone to my tube amp but I dislike digital sounding DACs. My desktop DAC is the MHDT Orchid which is a NOS tube DAC. It is not dark, overly warm sounding or with rolled off highs, it is rather lush, sweet, analog and musical sounding if that means anything, at least it does to me.

So I'm looking for a USB dongle DAC with that type of sound signature.

Many thanks.

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 6
If it's not too big, get a Mojo.
Thanks for the suggestion, already have a Mojo, no problem with it's size but I find it too "digital" sounding, it is very nice but not quite my taste! I know, I'm very picky. In fact I said "dongle" but anything the size of a DAP would be fine, but not a DAP since I'd like to use my iPhone as source.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry guys I just realized I'm an idiot, I probably should have posted this thread in the Computer audio forum. Sorry about that.

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 6
Sorry guys I just realized I'm an idiot, I probably should have posted this thread in the Computer audio forum. Sorry about that.
Dongle DACs seem to show up on multiple sub forums.

If you think a Mojo sounds too digital it will be difficult to help you out. I find those have a wonderful organic sound. Be sure your vendor has a liberal return policy because you are likely to need it.

I really like AKM chipsets and FIIO has dongles with that (on the larger size but smaller than a Mojo). I bet you would have interest in R2R units such as the Cayin. I would suggest avoiding ESS chipsets.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Dongle DACs seem to show up on multiple sub forums.

If you think a Mojo sounds too digital it will be difficult to help you out. I find those have a wonderful organic sound. Be sure your vendor has a liberal return policy because you are likely to need it.

I really like AKM chipsets and FIIO has dongles with that (on the larger size but smaller than a Mojo). I bet you would have interest in R2R units such as the Cayin. I would suggest avoiding ESS chipsets.
Well you are right that I am more attracted to AKM than ESS sound from what I have had the chance to listen to. I have two Sony DAPs that I like the sound when using the vinyl sound processing but this is no way close to the sweet sound I get with my MHDT Orchid tube DAC. I never heard any R2R DACs but yes from what I read this is probably the type of sound I'm looking for, the Cayin dongle however doesn't have a lineout and I already have an amp Woo WA8.

Basically I need an MHDT Orchid battery operated DAC, doesn't even have to be portable, just transportable easily through the house! :wink:

Thanks for your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back