Please help me I have a headache!
Mar 8, 2007 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Yuri

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, sorry for posting such a "noobie" question, I hate doing this but I have a headache after a 3 days straight looking at all the new players and couldn't make up my mind.

I honestly don’t have much knowledge in electronics. I need a nice portable music player, something I was thinking around 4GB +, maybe 2 but hopefully not. Somewhere in $150 range, or cheaper. Now the hard part is I need to be able to go jogging with it and just take it everywhere so it needs to be durable. I absolutely would love if it had a mic in it and FM radio. Also I need to be able to get music on it without trying to end my life first.

I looked at creative zen v plus, and that looked good before I checked this forum and some other opinions and no one seems to like it. iPods seems to break... or at least that’s what all my friends say.

So there is Creative Zen V Plus, iPod nano or mini or w/e, Samsung YP-T9 and a lot of other things.

I really don’t need it to have video or photos although it wouldn't kill me. Right now I am leaning towards Samsung, but it looks like a cell phone and I couldn't find anything on it besides what they advertise.

I use windows and I don't think I use any crazy formats or things like that

Guys please help me... too many options is killing me.

Thankyou
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 17
i think you'd be happy with an iPod. You'll always hear about products breaking. When you have mass-produced things like that, you're bound to get a dud once in a while.

There's also the Sandisk Sansa e260. I believe it can be had for pretty cheap, and those who buy them seem to enjoy them enough.

Additionally, there's the Insignia brand. I don't know the model, but it has quite a following over at DAPreview.net Seems like a solid player with some good features and a good price. Might be worth looking into.

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 17
If want to start by just dipping your toes into the digital audio player market, you may want to check out the Insignia NS-DV4G. It has 4GB of memory and a microSD slot to add more. It has a decent sound and a 5 band custom equalizer. It works in MSC or MTP modes. It has a large display and a user friendly interface. It has FM radio, and can display photos and videos.

The kicker is that you can get slightly used one at Deal-a-Deal for $60. I got mine off of eBay for about the same price. It came without a scratch on it.

-Pony

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 17
Thank you very much for responses guys... Players you showed all look really good, probably better then the ones I was thinking of.

The problem still did not go away, I still have no idea what would be better
tongue.gif

I think the Meizu M6 and the Sansa e260 look best, Insignia looks good but some review I found said that sound quality isn't great and it doesn’t have a mic. Now I can not for the love of god find any reason to chose one over anther though.

It is very hard to find "dirt" on players as the manufacturers website is only telling you the good things of course.

So what do you guys think? Remember, I need it to be able to take some abuse as I am planning on having for a while and working out with it.

Oh , and please, try to help me narrow it down don’t give me more choices.
etysmile.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 17
didn't realize the M6 can be had for so cheap. I think you'd really enjoy it. It looks like a great player, the manufacturer is great with firmware updates, and the sound is supposed to be great.

Mar 8, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 17
Well, for jogging -> no HDD DAP.

If you consider something like DAP > amp > IEMs, then perhaps an ipod is the right thing for ya.

If you don't wanna use an amp, keep your hands off an ipod, it really doesn't sounds great through headphone out.

Perhaps you take a look at cowon's U3: available in 1, 2 and 4GB. 20h playback, really good quality, and still an acceptable price (at leat here in germany).

Mar 8, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 17
Cowon and Samsung flash players have very good sound. Check to see if the Samsung K3 is available (the Samsung Z5 has unusual controls, but a Head-Fi poster pointed out to me that it's a non-issue for people with no past history with portable players -- no prejudicial frame of reference).

The iPod Nano is an easy-to-navigate flash player with excellent battery "mileage" and sound that is fine -- not extra good, as with the Cowon, Samsung and iRiver players, perhaps, but better than I was led to believe (no radio, though). If you manage music on your computer using Apple's iTunes, there are several ways you can load songs onto the player -- I'd advise against auto-synch, however, in iTunes or any music management software.

The Meizu is certainly intriguing -- I've just read about them on Head-Fi, but people have said some very nice things about them ... might suit your needs, so look into the Meizu in your player search.

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 17
How does the m6 sound compare to Ipod Nano? I'm really getting interested in the M6 because I love the features it gives and the great price. Also, they are coming out with the 8gb version at the end of the month.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 17
How about the Sony NW-S706? This has 4GB and a radio and seems well built. It was the other player I was considering before I bought a Cowon D2.

I'm not sure if it has a mic (expect it doesn't) and it's not drag and drop though - it relies on Sony's software.

However, it's meant to have good quality sound and it should fit your budget.

I believe there is an equivalent model without the noise cancelling headphones so that would be cheaper if you wanted to get a set of decent headphones to go with it.

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 17
Thank you very much guys, all players you suggested look awesome, I can only have one
frown.gif
so I'll be getting meizu m6, for $150 free shipping and silicone case is a very good deal that I found considering it was about $250 not that long ago. Plus a big screen and looks like it's well made.

Ones again, thank you. Now, is there anything I should know about these players? It looks like a good hobby to get into (oh boy, last thing I need is another hobby lol) Where can I find some beginner information that can explain some things so I have a better understanding about this kind of stuff?

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If want to start by just dipping your toes into the digital audio player market, you may want to check out the Insignia NS-DV4G. It has 4GB of memory and a microSD slot to add more. It has a decent sound and a 5 band custom equalizer. It works in MSC or MTP modes. It has a large display and a user friendly interface. It has FM radio, and can display photos and videos.

The kicker is that you can get slightly used one at Deal-a-Deal for $60. I got mine off of eBay for about the same price. It came without a scratch on it.

-Pony

If you're willing to go through ebay you can get the insignia even cheaper. I got a new one (w/o box) for $50.

Yeah, it's not great, but it's really cheap, good for the gym and while I wait to buy a new HD-based player.

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #14 of 17
grab something relatively cheap. enjoy and then keep searching. just go get a shuffle or a an m6 for now.

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #15 of 17
just so you know, alot of the hissing present on tracks on the sansa will be removed when rockbox is more developed for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back