Please help me - I am tired of reading...HA
Dec 14, 2007 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gdl357

100+ Head-Fier
Hell, I have just spent 1 week reading hundreds of threads on this forum about portable headphone amps, all for nothing. I have decided that I do NOT need a portable amp, more of a home amp that will plug into my Ipod Classic Dock.

Please recommend some good quality home amps that will pump the Dance, Hip Hop and R&B bass out of my DT770 and possibly HD650's later on that are under $300.

I know I'm asking alot, but I am just starting in this hobbiy and I can't afford to spend 1K on an amp.

Thx

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little Dot MK IV

Very good, I was just about to post the Little Dot MKIII, but don't know if this is a bassy amp? Could I get away with this?

Good source for buying in Canada? I can't seem to find the Official website? Ebay?

Also, why does every go for the tubes instead of Solid State?

Thx

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 8
i've never used a tube amp before but a lot of people prefer it compared to ss amps.
tube amps supposedly deliver warmer/smoother sound.
you can find little dot mk iv on ebay for $299. however, i think the shipping costs quite a lot b/c it comes from china or hongkong.

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 8
l. I looks like I will be getting the Master Amp. At $200.00 and free shipping and the great reviews it got, I just can't go wrong.

From what I read, the LD MKIV is not a good choice for my type of music as the bass is not very pronounced and punchy with this tube amp. I rather stick to SS amps.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Well... I would like to pass on this info for people that will be in my situation one day.

I think I have figured out this situation after talking with David at Little Dot.

I was ABOUT to purchase the MK IV and then asked about the MK V.

Quote:

Hello there!

I just responded to your MK IV SE inquiry, but yes you are correct. If you primarily listen to hip-hop, R&B, and dance music, the Little Dot MK V would be a fantastic choice (and a better one than the MK IV SE) as that's exactly the type of music it excels with. Paired with your DT770s, you would have an exceptional setup for your listening habits.

Best Regards,
David

Quote:

[size=x-small][size=x-small]The Little Dot MKV Dual-Mono Headphone Amplifier[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=small][size=x-small]The Little Dot MK V is our top-of-the-line solid-state headphone amplifier in the Little Dot MK-series. A new "dual-mono" design essentially has dual power sources, dual rectification, dual filters, and dual voltage regulation powering two independent amplifiers, one for each channel! This allows for vastly improved channel separation, reduced cross-talk and minimal intermodulation distortion resulting in expanded sound-stage, imaging precision, and lower overall noise. The Little Dot MK V also provides two inputs so you can connect two sources, and conveniently switch between them via the front panel Input buttons. [/size][/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]The Little Dot MK V's sound performance is equal with it's vacuum tube-based brother, the Little Dot MK IV, albeit with different areas of strength and sonic characteristics. While the Little Dot MK IV has that unforgettable natural warmth, rich mid-range, and vast sound-stage vacuum tubes, the solid-state Little Dot MK V focuses on musical fidelity, full dynamic range, transparency, detail, thundering, impactful bass, as well the sound-stage and imaging ability afforded by the "Dual-Mono" circuit. For those who are perhaps disinclined to the maintenance and mystique of vacuum tubes, and just want exceptional performance without any upkeep, the Little Dot MK V is the headphone amplifier for you![/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]Little Dot MKV Technical Specifications:[/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=x-small]
  1. [*][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][/size][/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small] [*][size=x-small]Dual-Mono design essentially has two independent amplifiers, one for each channel.[/size] [/size][/size][*][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]Dual-supply transformer, dual rectifier, double filtering, bi-symmetric regulator[/size][/size][/size] [/size]

1. [size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][/size][/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small] [/size][/size][*][size=x-small][size=x-small]MCU for source input switching, ON/OFF protection, stand-by control[/size]
    [size=x-small][/size]
    [/size][size=x-small] [*][size=x-small]Premium Vishay-Dale resistors, Matu****a filter capacitors, WIMA coupling capacitors, ALPS-27 Potentiometer, Van Den Hul/American CMC RCA input jacks, OMRON relay[/size] [*][size=x-small]Includes transient voltage suppression diode to shunt off voltage spikes.[/size][size=x-small][/size][size=x-small] [*]Frequency Response: [*]10HZ - 100KHz (-0.5dB) [*]THD+N: 0.05% (100mW @ 300 ohm, 1KHZ) [*]Suitable Headphone Impedance: 32 - 600 ohms [*]Power Output: [*]300 ohms: 187mW [*]32 ohms: 500mW [/size][/size][*][size=x-small][size=x-small]DC Offset: R/L +/- 3mV[/size][/size]
    [size=x-small][/size][size=x-small] [/size][*][size=x-small]Measurements:[/size] [*][size=x-small]Metric: 300mm (length) by 210mm (width) by 60mm (height)[/size] [*][size=x-small]English: 11.8 inches (length) by 8.26 inches (width) by 2.36 inches (height)[/size] [*][size=x-small]Weight:[/size] [*][size=x-small]3.5 kg or 7.71 lbs[/size][size=x-small][size=x-small][/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small] [/size][/size][*][size=x-small][size=x-small]Available in either 120VAC or 220VAC[/size][/size]
    [/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Sooo... it looks like this will be the amp because I JUST DROPPED THE CASH FOR ONE!! Yeah!

Both the MK IV and the MK V are selling for $300.00 plus $45 shipping to Canada.

Thx

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks a lot for sharing that info. Please return and post your impressions of the amp after it finally arrives. Oh, please include pictures if you can. The price sure is right for a nice dual-mono amp. Regards.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 8
wow...
Finally someone grab the MKV, give us an impression about it
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I just wanted to mention Heed Canamp . . . but seems that one is better option for you, congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back