Please help me get started with Jazz
Sep 4, 2007 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mojo

100+ Head-Fier
Being in Japan recently I noticed that they listen to a lot of jazz, especially in audio shops
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure where to start. I like the stuff they play here, usually piano based stuff, mostly instrumental but sometimes with vocals (seems to be mostly American singers but some Japanese as well.) Mostly quite "light" I would say, very pleasant and enjoyable to listen to. My guess is the shops pick it because everyone will like it and it really shows off the equipment because it's well recorded.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 11
For piano the best start would be Monk, IMO.
But may be, give a listen to Keith Jarrett`s masterpiece - The Koln Concert!

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But maybe, give a listen to Keith Jarrett`s masterpiece - The Koln Concert!

These things are entirely subjective, of course, but boy do I dislike the The Köln Concert. To me, its operating principles seem almost antithetical to those of someone as uniquely jazz as Thelonious Monk. Jarrett has made great jazz, but not necessarily on that record. He's an extremely versatile musician, and yet it's important to remember that the "jazz" part of his style (as distinguished from the more "classical" part) was lifted almost wholesale from the work of Paul Bley. Of course, all this may be too much information for someone like the O.P., who's just looking for a way into the genre.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Instrumental:
Tord Gustavsen is nice and very well recorded.
Horace Silver - Song for my Father
Herbie Hancock -Maiden Voyage
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Wayne Shorter - Juju
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
are nice albums to begin listening to Jazz imo.

As for Vocals:
Tierney Sutton
Julie London
Chet Baker
Johnny Hartman
Silje Nergaard
Madeleine Peyroux
Nina Simone - how can such a bad voice be sooo beautiful?

And Keith is nice but has the annoying habbit of humming to his piano playing!

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm no expert on jazz by any means, but Monk is good if you like the piano stuff. You may also want to check out Dave Brubeck. Alot of people are mixed on him, but he's worth checking out. Time Out is probably his more familiar stuff...

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 11
The world of Jazz (especially jazz from a decade or more ago) is full of virtuosos- experts at their instrument, be it vocals, or sax, et al.

What is it you like? Piano? Vocals? Horns? Drums? Harmonica? (Toots!!
tongue.gif
)

Find out who is good in those respects and you're on your way to a decent collection. As far as "must haves"- Acoustic Sounds has a 'must have' list for jazz albums that is pretty much logical.

Personally, I would go to a decent record store that offers headphone sampling and experiment with various types of jazz. bebop, contemporary, swing, etc... Then go to the (hopefully) informed person working there and ask them about jazz. Tell them you listened to XYZ and what you liked about it. If they are jazz people- they'll know exactly where to point you. Sample those and go from there.

In no particular order, here are some of my faves (I like the classics):

Horns:
Sonny Rollins
Canonball Adderley
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Coleman Hawkins
Zoot Sims
Art Pepper
Chet Baker
Joshua Redman

Piano:
Vince Guaraldi
Thelonius Monk
Bill Evans
Dave Brubek

Guitar:
Grant Green
Django Reinhardt
Wes Montgomery
Joe Pass
Charlie Hunter

Drums:
Art Blakey
Osie Johnson
Joe Morello

Vocals:
Ella Fitzgerald
Bille Holiday
Carmen McCrae

Many more....but that should give you an earfull!

rs1smile.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the leads, I am investigating now... I can tell it is going to be fun!

I started listening to some Swing after seeing that film Swing Girls, and enjoyed some of it. Piano and vocals seem to be my thing at the moment.

I'll take your advice BlueTick and tour around a few shops sampling things.

Many thanks everyone.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Listen to Bluetik. He knows his stuff.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back