Please help me get out of this hell (I'm suffering)
Oct 22, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #17 of 26
Get a soundcard that does virtual surround like the Asus essence ST, Xonar DG, which do Dolby headphone, or some CMSS-3D offerings like the Creative ones (though I personally prefer Dolby Headphone). That will turn any headphone into a virtual surround one, assuming the siganl being feed to the soundcard is proper (Dolby Headphone requires Dolby Digital Live).

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #18 of 26
For gaming, X-Fi powered cards, like the Creative X-Fi Titanium, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and Auzentech X-Fi Forte are the best options currently available. Asus cards don't perform as well with gaming. Creative cards have CMSS-3D and Asus cards have Dolby Headphone, which are two surround virtualization techs that work differently, perform in a relatively similar manner, and are very much a personal preference. However, gaming audio support is an entirely different subject, something Creative cards fully support and Asus cards partially support. So, when any sort of gaming beyond casual is done, Creative cards are to be considered above all other options.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 26
Headphone amps are heavily over-rated - most of the headphones mentioned here are very stable, low Z, and will play very nicely with portable devices (I think all are, but I haven't specifically pulled data for all - I know the Koss, Bose, Sennheiser, and ATH-M50 are). In most cases it's just a nice way to spend some money.

I disagree on the "fake detail" point with the Bose (really, how do you even explain that feature - they aren't mega-treble boosted like a lot of "audiophile" cans, and they measure pretty well (no weird peaks, no weird ridges on the CSD, no massive distortion peaks, etc); the whole "oh they sound good but they really aren't" thing just makes no sense to me). They're good, they're not world-beaters, but they're good - especially when you consider that they offer more isolation than most of their competition while weighing less. I'd say the DJ100/TBSE, and CAL! represent better value, but they're all in the same ballpark. HD 380 too (HD 380 are probably the most similar, and come with more accessories). Best advice: go try some of these first-hand (Best Buy actually should have most of the mentioned models on display in-store).

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #20 of 26
I disagree on the "fake detail" point with the Bose (really, how do you even explain that feature - they aren't mega-treble boosted like a lot of "audiophile" cans, and they measure pretty well (no weird peaks, no weird ridges on the CSD, no massive distortion peaks, etc); the whole "oh they sound good but they really aren't" thing just makes no sense to me).

i've been through two sets of bose, one is the bose oe and the other is the ae2 ..

the oe has an enhanced bass and was pretty ok(other than the small stage) but always used to emphasize on all the wrong parts of the spectrum to my ears .. to give you a sense of vow! .. but let me tell it got super-boring... i felt whatever it was trying to show was not at all a balanced sound especially after listening to more balanced sets i got right after .. 
they just did bass and still was n't good enough even there in its reach 

the ae2 din't have the bass going, the mids were clear enough to my ears .. they sounded extra clear in the mids..but when i heard the mdr z1000, i just gotta know that there was so much of detail in the mids i was missing even though the ae2 was doing mids well..
this is what i would call a 'fake' sound..

thanks for disagreeing, it makes my bose sound new 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 26
You will not need an amp for a 32 ohm headphone like the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #22 of 26
i've been through two sets of bose, one is the bose oe and the other is the ae2 ..

the oe has an enhanced bass and was pretty ok(other than the small stage) but always used to emphasize on all the wrong parts of the spectrum to my ears .. to give you a sense of vow! .. but let me tell it got super-boring... i felt whatever it was trying to show was not at all a balanced sound especially after listening to more balanced sets i got right after .. 
they just did bass and still was n't good enough even there in its reach 

the ae2 din't have the bass going, the mids were clear enough to my ears .. they sounded extra clear in the mids..but when i heard the mdr z1000, i just gotta know that there was so much of detail in the mids i was missing even though the ae2 was doing mids well..
this is what i would call a 'fake' sound..

thanks for disagreeing, it makes my bose sound new :rolleyes:

You're comparing a $735 headphone to a $150 headphone to point out faults in the cheaper model...:rolleyes:

But yes, in the context of what you've posted, I would agree.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #23 of 26
You will not need an amp for a 32 ohm headphone like the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Uhh... the 32ohm is even harder to drive than the 250ohm. Dont make assumptions. Volume does not equal being driven well. In the case of the 32ohm, the need more power than the 250ohm to sound up to par. In comparison, the 250ohm sounds better than the 32ohm with less power, but the volume is lacking. The 32ohm gets loud but sounds sloppy without a good amp. Get a good amp and the two are comparable.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

You're comparing a $735 headphone to a $150 headphone to point out faults in the cheaper model...

But yes, in the context of what you've posted, I would agree.

the mdr z 1000 was like 300 dollars here a while ago, not 735(where on earth did you get that figure)?? their market price was 450 dollars on release..
leave that ..take the 150 dollar shure srh 840 that is still so much value and much better sounding to my ears .. do you want to carry on this bose vs other better phones debate ? 
its just boring .. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #25 of 26
the mdr z 1000 was like 300 dollars here a while ago, not 735(where on earth did you get that figure)?? their market price was 450 dollars on release..
leave that ..take the 150 dollar shure srh 840 that is still so much value and much better sounding to my ears .. do you want to carry on this bose vs other better phones debate ? 
its just boring .. 

C'mon, there is no "debate" or "conflict" here - unless you bring one in.

Since you asked about the pricing - the MDR-Z1000 release SRP (in 2010) was $735 US. They dropped the price to $499 right before discontinuation, and the MDR-7520 still carry that price-tag through Sony Pro.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #26 of 26
its just boring eitherways .. to my ears bose is horrible value with a fake sound .. can't help it if you think otherwise 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back