Please help me get better sound out of my headphones from my HTC Desire!
Jan 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

KKSlider1337

New Head-Fier

Hello there,

Now I'm hardly an audiophile by any means, and don't really know a lot. But I still like my music to sound half-decent, to my personal tastes at least. 

I have a pair of Goldring NS-1000 headphones, a Fiio E5 portable amp and used to use these with an iPod Classic, latest gen, through a Fiio LOD cable. I was pretty satisfied with this basic setup on the whole - the amp made a huge difference to the headphones' quality and it all went together well.

Unfortunately I'm miserably poor due to struggling to get a job, and so when the opportunity came up to sell my iPod for almost as much as I bought it for new 2 years ago, I went for it. After all, I have a HTC Desire and thought that I could just use that for my music, connected to my E5 by minijack.

However, I just can't get the satisfying sound from it that I used to enjoy from my iPod. I listen to rock and metal mostly, and like to have deep, full bass and avoid having treble that's too harsh - I used to use the iPod 'Rock' EQ setting. I also like to listen to music loud. Music sounds alright when I listen to it quieter at night time for example, but when listening to it loud whilst walking around it just isn't the same. It lacks the fullness that it had before, and doesn't sound quite as clear either. 

I've tried two apps, Poweramp and PlayerPro, and experimented with the equalisers - it makes an improvement to an extent, but I still can't create the same kind of sound. Turning the bass too high just makes it sound booming and ridiculous, and at any setting it just never sounds as full and hard-hitting.

Is my phone just too weak/basic of a source to sound as good as my iPod, even with the portable amp? Anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate an explanation from people who know more than I do. Obviously, due to the aforementioned lack of funds I can't really buy any new equipment to improve matters.

Thanks,

James

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 2
Try Neutron music player & DSP sound manager. You can't get better from this phone, or try custom ICS rom, maybe it will improve sound quality, but I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back