Please help me find the perfect headphones!
Apr 1, 2014 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pistolpetah

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, been lurking around here for quite some time and have finally decided to upgrade from my 7 year old Siberia V2's. I've been looking at a couple of headphones in the ~$250 range, namely the HD598, DT770/880/990, and the Fidelio X1's, but have no idea which ones to settle for.

I listen mostly to indie, classic rock, and EDM (ie My Morning Jacket, Jimi Hendrix, deadmau5 are some of the artists I listen to). I also like to game with a lot of my free time, mainly MMOs and RPGs with a little sprinkling of FPS as well so i'd like a pair of well rounded headphones.

Comfort is a factor I value highly since I wear glasses and spend most of my hours on the PC.

Also, I'm aware that an amp/dac set up is recommended/required to get the most out of these headphones, but would like to choose a pair of cans before I start looking into those. Any suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 10
Of those, DT990. I would use it with O2, except I've been hearing good things about Vali with it. I prefer ODAC to all the S***** I've tried, but you'll probably want to match.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 10
Which versions of the DT990 would you suggest and is there any difference besides the amount of power needed to run each headphone?

I haven't heard the 600 ohm one. Get the 250 as it sounds better in the treble than the 32 and will be much easier to drive than 600.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Apr 1, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 10
I read a review on here that said the X1s were in every way an improvement on the DT990s except on the treble, but I also read that the vocals were kind of overshadowed by the bass on the X1s.

I think i've narrowed my choices down to the X1s and the HD598 (still haven't COMPLETELY ruled out the Beyers yet but these 2 kind of stand out) could someone give me some detailed comparisons between the two?

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 10
If you are going to look at the X1s and the DT990s, might as well look into the HE-400s. They are a steal at their current price of $299. Here's a review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

Note how well they compare to all of the other headphones in the list, including many that are much more expensive.

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 10
I've had the M-50xs for two weeks now and I'm impressed with the sound, and am very happy with the sound I got for the price ($169). However, they're too big for me to take them anywhere and ugly as hell. I only use them in my house, and only plan to use them on long plane and car rides.

If you want to save $ for something else and don't want to use them on the go I highly recommend them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back