Please help me find the perfect headphones for my odd requirements...(thanks)
Mar 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eard

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, this is my first post so I hope its in the right place! Please read to the end and if you can, please help me.

My situation is this... I currently use a pair of Panasonic htx7's which I really like, alongside some Koss Porta Pros that I bought ages ago, but need to get something to wear when I am suited and booted on my daily commute. Neither of these are any good as i need them to:

1) Look very smart (enough to wear with a suit both commuting and in the office)
2) Be small enough to carry in my work laptop bag (quite a slim bag) when not in use
3) Not leak much sound so as not to annoy fellow commuters on the bus/tube/in the office
4) Be loud enough with my ipod classic (my htx7's are just too quiet with my stupid EU volume limited ipod!)
5) Nice and comfortable
6) Isolate sound so that I can use them to get some quiet in the office
7) Absolutely NOT in-ear

Thats pretty much my requirements, i have been looking at the following models:

1) B&W P5 - Pretty much perfect for looking smart, but being realistic, probably far too expensive
2) Bose AE - Probably too big for my bag, and I've heard bad things about their build quality
3) Bose OE - Perfect size, but again have heard bad things about build and the brand in general
4) Nixon Apollo Headphones - Don't know much about these
5) AKG K450 - Don't know much about these

i listen to a totally varied selection of music, from hiphop to classical to ska to rock...and everything in between. I also have about 70GB's of music at 192 AAC that i'd rather not re-rip if possible, and I am concerned that headphones that are too good may show up the limitations of this bitrate!

Thats pretty much it really, so if you can help advise me in any way, please do, it is massively appreciated.

Oh and I can technically spend whatever for the right pair, but value is important too.

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 5
If you like their look, the AKG will provide the best isolation. The B&W are a second choice, but they're overpriced. Avoid Bose unless it's absolutely necessary. The Nixon Apollo leak sound pretty badly and don't sound great, either.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 5

Well, if you considered the B&W P5, I would suggest the V-Moda M80, they are around £90-£100 cheaper, will actually stay on your head and not come apart (there is a problem with the leather headband on the B&W P5). Head-Fi reviews here.

As you mention the Tube, can I assume you are in Lodon/UK? If so, you can get the V-Moda M80 from Amazon.co.uk.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Your first requirement (look very smart) is pretty subjective, but the Sennheiser PX200-II would meet your other requirements.  I got a pair awhile back mostly to use when I walk during my lunch breaks and when I'm getting ready for work in the morning.  I find the sound signature pleasing, with decent enough bass given their size.  They fold up nicely, and are closed to provide some isolation.

I have the 200-IIi version with the iPod controls & mic in the cable because I mostly use them with my iPhone, and the play/pause and volume controls also work with my old iPod Classic.  They sound better straight out of the classic than either of my full size headphones (Senn HD595  and Shure SRH840), just a good synergy there in my opinion.  Volume hasn't been an issue but my iPod is not volume-limited - I don't think I've ever gone over 70%.

They do benefit from break in, in fact more so than any other phone I've had.  When I got them I listened to about 30 seconds of one song and thought the bass was mediocre.  I then plugged them into a computer and fed them music for almost 50 hours before I put them on my head again.  Listened to the same song and was very pleasantly surprised how much the bass had improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back