Please help me find the bottleneck/weakest link of my system!!!!
May 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kunuggs

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I'm not exactly sure what to upgrade next. All opinions are welcome.
System config is as follows:
(mostly) FLAC files ->
winamp ->
SB Extigy (*not bitperfect*) ->
BJC SPDIF ->
Sony STR-DE485 ->
Insignia Bookshelves/AKG K501

or
crappy DVD player ->
cheap coaxial ->
Sony STR-DE485 ->
Insignia Bookshelves/AKG K501

Things I'm fairly certain will stay in the system for a while:
AKG K501, FLAC/winamp, both digital cables

Future upgrades include (basically in order):
AV123.com X-LS SWG (not yet released)
New soundcard (only bitperfect out is really necessary, no gaming)
Panasonic XR-55
Oppo DVD Universal
Subwoofer (debating DIY or not)
headphone amp

Now, which do you think I should do first? Why? (Note that the headphone amp is at the bottom b/c I don't listen to headphones that much, and that I think the K501's sound OK out of the Sony headphone jack)

May 23, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Instead of that XR-55, it might be a good idea to look into a second hand vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo, or Fisher stereo amp. IMO the newer consumer grade amps dont sound nearly as good as the vintage, and if you do look for something better, you will spend over $1000. I have a Pioneer SA-750, which can be found for ~$50 on eBay. Not high end by any means, but it sounds far better than my $200 Onkyo TX-8522. The bass is deeper, the sound is cleaner, and the music is overall just more fun to listen to.

May 23, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Note that the headphone amp is at the bottom b/c I don't listen to headphones that much,

Given that statement with the assumption, that most of your listening is to speakers.

Spend every ounce of money you have into new speakers.

Let me repeat, don't worry about amps, sound cards, and especially cables as bottlenecks. If you want the biggest jump in sound quality. Buy new speakers.

I'm not sure about your budget, but for the third time, buy new speakers.
icon10.gif

May 23, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of that XR-55, it might be a good idea to look into a second hand vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo, or Fisher stereo amp. IMO the newer consumer grade amps dont sound nearly as good as the vintage, and if you do look for something better, you will spend over $1000. I have a Pioneer SA-750, which can be found for ~$50 on eBay. Not high end by any means, but it sounds far better than my $200 Onkyo TX-8522. The bass is deeper, the sound is cleaner, and the music is overall just more fun to listen to.

Honestly, I was looking at some vintage amps a while ago; mostly the adcom gfa series (prob. gfa-535 II b/c of price considerations). However, after stumbling upon this monster thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504) about the panny xr55, I've been heavily leaning towards it. I mean, that thread has 3500 posts which are almost all in favor of this little panny. Plus, it's readily available and I wouldn't have to mess around with ebay/craigslist/etc

May 23, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given that statement with the assumption, that most of your listening is to speakers.

Spend every ounce of money you have into new speakers.

Let me repeat, don't worry about amps, sound cards, and especially cables as bottlenecks. If you want the biggest jump in sound quality. Buy new speakers.

I'm not sure about your budget, but for the third time, buy new speakers.
icon10.gif

Actually, I totally agree with you. If I end up buying everything I currently want, the x-ls swg and subwoofer will cost more than my AKG K501s, iPod, receiver, universal player, soundcard, speaker stands and all digital and analog cables combined.
cool.gif

May 23, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 8
No doubt it would be readily available, but you could save some serious coin if you go vintage, providing youre searching the right places. Now that the weather is warm, many old folks will be having garage sales. Alot of them sell vintage equipment for next to nothing. Ive seen some of it go for as low as $10 a pop. They just dont know what they have.

May 23, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I totally agree with you. If I end up buying everything I currently want, the x-ls swg and subwoofer will cost more than my AKG K501s, iPod, receiver, universal player, soundcard, speaker stands and all digital and analog cables combined.
cool.gif

Im sure you will love those XLSs. Theyre supposed to be a damn good speaker for the money. Im more of a speaker man myself. I just bought these Insignias a couple weekends ago and I must say Im pretty impressed for a measly $55. The only reason I wear headphones is because I live in an apartment, but when the sun is up, the speakers come along with it. I generally prefer speakers over headphones, just get annoyed alot of times having to wear them on my head lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back