Please help me find some vintage speakers
Jan 15, 2012 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CafeRocker

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Now that I have gotten my headphone situation handled with a pair of modded t50rp's, I figure it is time for me to get myself a decent set of speakers. I began looking at new speakers, but do not think that I will be able to find anything within my budget (about $100) that will satisfy me.

Thus, I am beginning a hunt for a good deal on a nice set of vintage speakers. The problem is: I know nothing about vintage speakers. I was hoping that someone might be able to direct me to a good resource on the subjects, or perhaps offer some personal tips in searching.

What are some brands / models I should keep an eye out for?

What things should I look for when inspected the actual speakers?

Outside of craiglist, garage sales, and second-hands shops, are there other places to be looking?

Thank you in advance for any wisdom you may bestow upon me.

Cheers.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 7
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-819H-K

That is the receiver I will be using.

I live in the Iowa City area.

I also already have a powered sub.

I did find a set of BIC V62's today at a pawn shop in Iowa City, which seem to have decent reputation for budget speakers. But, they want $50 for them that seems a little steep.

Thank you for taking an interest in my search.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 7
I love the look of those B&O's. However, I feel as if those speakers are too big for my needs (especially the JBL's). This is going to be my office set up, and it hard to imagine have speakers in there that are about the same size as my desk! I am thinking that I would like bookshelf speakers to accompany my powered sub.

I have actually been doing a little research on building my own speakers. It looks like I could build a pretty decent set for about $70, and it would be a great learning experience. Have you any experience with building speakers? Am I being foolish in taking this project on?

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 7
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320834094639?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_978wt_1270&clk_rvr_id=309648459715 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back