Please help me find more music!
Apr 13, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 17
In reference to the math-rock post above, I'm pretty fond of Tera Melos, Minus the Bear and Volta Do Mar.

I haven't really been listening to much rock as of late with the exception of Sonic Youth but here are some I've listened to in the past quite a bit.

Dinosaur Jr. - Grunge with very mellow to upbeat vocals, depending on the album. Huge guitar emphasis.

Portugal. The Man - Since you've been listening to more hardcore/metal-esque vocals, they may not appeal to you much with their falsetto like vocals, but the prog-structured instrumentals are top notch on their first few albums. Their later ones are more pop oriented.

Pink Floyd - I'm surprised no one mentioned these guys. Sure, they're pretty overrated at times, but it's psychedelic at its best.

mewithoutYou - Post-hardcore mixed with prog elements and Christian lyrical influence. I'm not big on religion but I can't deny the talent these guys have.

Pavement - I haven't listened to these guys much, but I'm liking what I've heard. A veteran can probably describe their sound much better than I can, I don't want to give off any misconceptions on accident.

Future of the Left - Punk/Hardcore with humorous lyrics, really enjoy them.

HORSE the band - Post-Hardcore mixed with 8-bit influences and Nintendo references.

Sunset Rubdown - Prog with medieval themed lyrics, though I've been told that some find Spencer Krug, the lead vocalist annoying to listen to.

Wolf Parade - Another rock band led by Krug, if you don't like Sunset, best to avoid these guys as well.

Post-Rock/Instrumental stuff - Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut, This Will Destroy You, Russian Circles, 65daysofstatic, Tortoise

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #17 of 17
Try:
The Flower Kings
Transatlantic
Neal Morse
Spock's Beard
Frost*
Rush (one of Dream Theater's influences)
Yes

For unbelievable instrumental (mostly) guitar music --Joe Satriani

Users who are viewing this thread

Back