Please help me find a USB notebook soundcard/DAC!
Dec 21, 2007 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Bull Moose

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I've been reading through threads and searches about different soundcards and DACs but unfortunately this did not help me find the answer I was looking for so could anyone please help me out here? OKay, here's my situation. So I just got a nice new HP dv9500t with all the bells and whistles (HD DVD, tv tuner, etc) but there's no slot for my old creative notebook card, only an expresscard slot. I've heard decent things about the Creative x-fi soundcard, but I've also heard that it's still a rip off and not all that great for gaming. I actually purchased a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage SRM soundcard because it was USB but sadly the company doesn't support the 64 bit version of windows vista (grrrrrrr). Sooo, I was hoping to try and avoid the creative x-fi soundcard because my tv tuner also uses the expresscard slot and I'd like to not have to keep switching out expresscards depending on what I'm doing.

Does anyone know of any USB plug and play soundcards or usb soundcards that support windows vista ultimate 64 bit? I will mostly be using my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers and rarely headphones. I guess my other question is whether or not a USB DAC will run speakers? All the threads I looked at about DACs only referred to headphone use. I'd like to spend under $100 if possible. Please help a guy out! (oh and happy holidays as well) Thanks!

Dec 23, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 2
Edit: Whoops, I forgot about the Vista 64-bit restriction. It might be a good idea to go with a USB audio interface that uses the generic USB audio drivers. Around the $100 range, most do this. Otherwise, you'll have to check with the manufacturer about driver support.

Check out the All the DACs Money Can Buy thread for ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back