Please help me figure out what I need to get decent audio over headphones from my new laptop. Gaming, Music, and Video Chatting
Oct 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Drooshz

New Head-Fier
I've done some lurking in your great community over the years and I was hoping you all could help me put 2 and 2 together into a value priced recommendation while maximizing quality for the money.  I'm totally new at this, so please help educate me.  Links to previous threads are fine as I looked but I'm sorry to say that I didn't see any that were much like my request.  Please let me know if I would be better off posting this in a different sub-forum.  Thanks!

I expect my laptop to come next week.  It is a custom built system based off of the Clevo P170HM chassis.
http://www.mythlogiccorp.com/configure.php?id=86

It appears to be pretty standard with regards to audio processing and connections:
USB 2&3, Realtek ALC892 HD Audio, 5.1 audio jacks with S/PDIF (Optical), THX software, also audio over HDMI

I already have Edirol MA-10D digital monitors on my desk.  I'm thinking that they could serve as a DAC at least while I'm at the desk?  Can it serve as a head amp too?
Specs: http://www.roland.com/products/en/MA-10D/specs.html & http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=441

To give you an idea of my sound preferences, Someday I would love a pair of headphones like the Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 32 OHM Headphones.  Figuring that with the 32 OHM version I could also use them with my Android smartphone and digital piano.  However, these are over $300 so hopefully someday down the road.  For now, I'd like a really affordable solution (under $150 total) with a fairly neutral sound profile (It seems lots of gaming headphones are overly boomy).  

I'll mainly listen to classical, rock, and some jazz.  2.0 is probably fine, however, if there is something decent with 5.1 or 7.1 for FPS gaming and movies that might be fun to have considering I have some decent 2.0 earbuds already.  I'm thinking over the ear open design would offer the best quality and soundfield?  Would closed be better for video chatting and gaming so that sound leakage wouldn't affect the microphone?

Some of these would strech my budget.  Also, I have no opinion on any of these and I know I will get better advice here, but FWIW here are some popular headphones I've seen recommended to others Notebookreview.com forums:
Cyberhome CH-SRD 600R
Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900, A900
Beyerdynamic DT250, 
Shure SRH440, SRH840
Razer Megladon, Razer Tiamat 7.1 or 2.2
Corsair HS1 usb headset
[size=1.7em] Sennheiser PC 161 PC Gaming Headset[/size]
[size=1.7em] Example threads:[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em] Thanks for your help![/size]

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 7
the best headphones you can get in that price range (if you can stretch it a little) are the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. no gimmick, no hype. these produce good quality sound that'll be considerably better than all the 'phones on your list. I wouldn't be surprise if they sound even better then the DT 990's - they sure sounded better then the B&W P5.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 7
What about Grado's their specialty it rock/classical. Your looking for open design right?

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 7
Oct 12, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 7
the HD25-1 II have more of a Grado-ish sound than a typical Senn, that's why I like them.

Grado's leak sound, and don't isolate. in noisy environments (bus, train...) you'll need to turn the volume to unsafe levels just to drown out the noise. they were killing my hears 

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks.  If we put the headphones question aside for the time being, what do I need to get surround sound headphones for movies and games?  Would the MixAmp virtual solution work for my set-up?

What do you guys recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back