Please help me decide: the poorman's burden of the MXW1
Dec 20, 2008 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in a terrible audio limbo:

I'm not entirely satisfied with my Sennheiser MXW1s being my main and only "good" headphone. It sounds nice, but I terribly miss the Edition 9 bass that is about 1% present in my wireless earbuds. I'm also dissatisfied with the smallish headstage that has yet to convince me of a concert hall, but a pipe organ blaring through a horn that is a meter away from me. My current "good" rig is the Pico w/ DAC, whose quality I certainly am not exploiting to its fullest extent.

I can't afford anything nice like the Edition 9, let alone spend much more than $400. I would like to sacrifice my MXW1 to give me more quality options in choosing a full sized headphone, but these earbuds are just so damn good.

I am nearly wire phobic because of the MXW1 experience. I've gotten so used to the convenience of wirelessness, that I struggle to contemplate getting something that is non-wireless in favor over the MXW1s.

The forbidding Canadian climate that forces me to wear layers makes for a very cumbersome "wire placement". No more with the MXW1s, I could place my main rig anywhere on my body, be it my pant pocket or coat pocket, I am completely unstressed by a very common problem of entanglement and discomfort. Suppose you're listening to a symphony that is about to climax... at the same time nature calls. Why stop to unplug when you could be enjoying the gigantic resolution of Wagner's Tristan and Isolde while relieving yourself? The satisfaction of simultaneous "relief", both musical and physical, is incredible. The new wireless will be the new "cool". In 10 years the masses will ridicule the nerd for still wearing wired iBuds as they do with the poor college kid sporting the 2 inch thick laptop, I could reflect upon myself as a pioneer of this sensible fashion.

My musical lifestyle has been effectively assimilated by the MXW1s; wirelessness is an integral part of my daily function. On the other hand, I'm repressing the true calling to the higher realm of audio that is simply not possible with the MXW1s.

What I need now is advice, since I've taken an extended leave from the current headphone trend, and I'm not sure what amazing innovations they've made in this market.

TLDR: I'm headphone dumb for the past few months, and I'm too lazy to lurk around. I'm looking for closed headphones that:

- doesn't skimp out on midrange
- doesn't output the "extended bass" like a DT 770
- exciting presentation

- Portability is more like the icing on the cake (non-essential but would be nice)
- should pair nicely with neutrality (my Headamp Pico)
- I can't afford more than $500

Is the ESW9 still hot? Did the D7000 stand the hype? Did Yuin pull another miracle that isn't related to earbuds? Are there any "wait for x headphone"s going on?

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm in the same boat as you are in terms of earphones (too much sacrifice) and I'm looking very hard at getting a pair of ESW9s.

They look a lot bigger and more cumbersome in pictures than they do in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back