Please help me decide on one of these by the end of the day!
Dec 19, 2005 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Quake1028

Previously known as Gloomfire.
Hi there. New forum member. I'm in the market for a pair of closed cans to start my audiophile experience
wink.gif
. My criteria was under $100, at least semi-portable, and readily available online in the US. These will mainly be used on my PC and iPod with no amp (for right now). My choices are down to 3:

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - Best price: $90.96 w/2 day shipping
AKG K 26 P - Best price: $50.69 w/2 day shipping
Sony MDR-V6 (not portable at all though) - Best price: $84.45 w/2 day shipping

If I've completely missed something in this price range that meets all of my criteria, please let me know (has to be able to be delivered by Saturday).

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 7
For a portable look at the MDR-7506 By Sony, true Cirumaural cans with a lower impedance and higher sensitivity than the V6's. The V6's are more apt for live mixing and higher power boards. The 7506's have a more musical tone while still being quite accurate. The bass is much warmer and textured without being sloppy. These also fold up to make them more portable. If you're looking for a closed can for right at the $100 mark for use with a portable unamped I can't think of anything that I would recommend more highly.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by utarch00
My vote is for the AKG k26p.

I have a pair and I love them.

If you have a Guitar Center local then you can get them for $39.99.

Thanks! We do have one and they have them in for $39.99
smily_headphones1.gif
. You just made my day!

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Well, after reading some very bad things about the newer "model" K26P's, I have changed my mind. Now I am planning on going with Senn HD202 ($21) for closed needs and Grado SR60 ($69) for other listening. How is this combo? Anything that can beat that much versatility for $90?

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Dollar for dollar, the last combo of Grado and Senn you mention is probably your best bet. The Grados can be a bit uncomfortable for some (they were for me). Washing/soaking the earpads will help them to "break-in" and soften a bit. Enjoy the holiday and your new cans...and welcome to the Head-Fi forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 7
The last combo sounds like a good plan to me. After all, just getting the senns wouldn't be a good idea if you care about other people looking at you in public
280smile.gif
. But besides that it offers the versatility of having an open can experience as well as a decent closed experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back