PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE ON IEMS- My absolute final post on this subject
Feb 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Boombastic88

Head-Fier
I am sincerely sorry for all of the threads asking about iems. My preferences and choices keep changing and I've finally come up with a final post. So here my current situation: I'm trying to decide on my first decent iem and I need a straight up answer. The only nice pair I've tried is the Westone um2. I was amazed by the detail and I loved the very forward mids, big bass, and warmth. The voices were nice but didn't sound completely realistic, probably due to lack of detail in the highs. Overall it was like for the first time, I was hearing real music. So here are my questions: how do these compare to the sennheiser ie7? How is the detail compared to the um2? I also heard that the ie7 weren't very engaging which would keep me from buying them. Is this true? Lastly are there any other ba iems that sound similar to the um2? I really want to be engaged with my music. Maybe um2? Se215? My budget is $150. I listen to everything and my preferred sound sig is warm overall, very detailed, and forward and realistic mids and vocals. I just need some straight up answers and suggestions. Thanks and sorry about all the questions.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 17
The JVC FXT90, EPH100, Klipsch Image X10, MTP Gold and EX600 are recommeded and they all are very crisp, clear sounding with good punchy bass

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
The only thing that worries me about the se215 is that I've read that it lacks the detail produced by other ba's. Is this true? I'm going from klipsch image s4 so how much of a difference in detail will there be?

Haha. The 215 destroys the S4. Order without fear. Plus, it has removable cables that can be replaced should they ever short out.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
The only thing that worries me about the se215 is that I've read that it lacks the detail produced by other ba's. Is this true? I'm going from klipsch image s4 so how much of a difference in detail will there be?

Quite true. IMO, The SE215 has bloaty bass and it does have less details compared to BA iem's. (SE215's a dynamic driver bt the way.)

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Well, if the UM2s didn't sound realistic enough to you, (though it is), you should go to dynamic drivers. 

Well keep in mind I only had less than an hour to play with them so I wasn't used to the ba drivers' sound yet. I never said they weren't real enough, just that the vocals seemed to lack a little detail because of the lack of high. And so I ask again, how much of a difference in detail and sound signature between the se215 and the westone um1/um2?

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Well keep in mind I only had less than an hour to play with them so I wasn't used to the ba drivers' sound yet. I never said they weren't real enough, just that the vocals seemed to lack a little detail because of the lack of high. And so I ask again, how much of a difference in detail and sound signature between the se215 and the westone um1/um2?

Just get the se215 and be done with it.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 17
Before you commit to SE215's just take a quick look in case:

Quote:
SE215 have more forward, lush mids, better bass overall IMO. The EPH is more neutral sounding, not as warm, more balanced across the spectrum. The treble on the EPH100 is technically superior and probably better in just about every way than that of the SE215. The EPH100 sounds clearer and cleaner, with better soundstage and instrument separation, whereas the SE215 sounds bigger, fuller, and more powerful; the overall sound is more forward but soundstage is not bad. The EPH100 is faster, notes are better defined, but the overall sound is smaller, a compromise between BA and dynamic sound; SE215 can be bloated sometimes and misses details, but it is definitely a dynamic sound and feels bigger and more powerful than the EPH100. There is more distance between the music and you in the EPH100, which helps with clarity and separation but sacrifices on the fun factor, which the SE215 definitely delivers, at the risk of sounding like a "wall of sound" sometimes. That said, the soundstage on the 215s is definitely better, especially in depth, than entry level IEMs like CX300 and FA Eterna (the Eterna wins on width but overall the staging feels less noticeable; going from memory on this one so take with a grain of salt), but is nothing to write home about; the EPH100 has great placement and separation, and has an overall more noticeable soundstage than any IEM I've heard, including the W3.

IMO:

Shure SE215 = more engaging, more fun to listen to
EPH100 = more detailed and clear, mostly balanced sound, technically superior headphone

Don't take this to mean the EPH100 is neutral compared to other phones; it's not exceptionally colored, but the bass is boosted slightly and it's a touch warm.

The SE215 does mids and bass both REALLY well in my opinion; I prefer it for my own tastes despite recognizing the EPH100 as a technically superior phone. The bass on the SE215 responds fabulously to EQ and some serious rumble can be squeezed out of it with the right DAP + EQ.

What music would you be using them for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back