Please help me decide on an amp...
Jul 11, 2005 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

auris

100+ Head-Fier
Many thanks in advance for any replies.

I am new around here and have been gathering information, searching threads, and trying to narrow down choices for a couple of weeks now. I am looking for a headphone amplifier for multi-source use. It will be used with my home stereo: McIntosh solid state C37 preamp, turntable with Sumiko Blue Point high-output moving coil cartridge, and a Cal Audio cd player (tube output stage). The amp will also need to do double- duty at times with my computer (Soundblaster Audigy 2 "value" soundcard). I also have a couple of old tube McIntosh preamps available (C11 and C22), but doubt I will be using them at this point, as they do not mate well with the power amp in my home system (I do have access to a fair number of tubes for the preamps and a couple of old mono tube amps, but really don't want whether I already have particular tubes to roll to be the single deciding factor).

Headphones used will be a pair of 120 ohm Sennheiser 590's (Equinox cable on order). I am looking for an amplifier that will bring a bit more fullness/warmth to the midrange of the Sennheiser's. I do a lot of listening to female vocalists, play mainly jazz, some rock, and some classical. I do not listen much to electronica, rap, or hip hop. I am particularly sensitive to glare, shrillness, grainy sound -- whatever you want to call it. If necessary, I am ready to forego extended high frequency response in an effort to avoid glare.

Oh, yes -- I also suffer from a somewhat common affliction -- I am on a budget. I really don't want to spend any more than $600 max, and less is better. Probably need to forego kits -- have never put anything electronic together and don't want my first experiment in learning how to be the new amplifier. I would consider buying used, but would prefer something new with a warranty in case of problems.

My short list of amp candidates now: Eddie Current HD-25 (have seen a review or two raving about sound; wonder if board flexing when inserting and removing tubes may still be an issue); Antique Sound Labs MG Head DT/OTL Mk III (wonder whether quality control is still an issue); Antique Sound Labs HB1 Hybrid Tube Headphone Amp ($250 price is right, but have found no reviews or listening impressions); Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 (not really a frontrunner now due to reading opinions of build quality and reading that tubes are soldered-in
eek.gif
); Woo Audio 3 (no real issues from my research. Wonder how sound compares to others);Gilmore Lite (the only current solid state candidate -- wonder if midrange will sound at all warm or not -- hard to tell from reviews I've read).

If at all possible, I'd like to be happy the first time around (and not look back) rather than go on a quest for a sonic Golden Fleece. My wallet isn't fit to to underwrite such a journey.

Any thoughts, experiences to share, suggestions, or positive or negative recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 4
I know you said no DIY stuff..

but a rockhopper or JMT M³ with 3 year warranty or whatnot is not exactly "DIY DIY" :p

I'm biased, but I like the M³, gives you a lot for not a lot of greenbacks/franklins(as you'd call it)

Appropriately fitted with opa637s/627s it is DEFINATELY not a shrill amp, but it's not a tube amp (at least it doesn't have tubes in it).

There have been comparisons with the GS-1 (or was it a gilmore lite?) vs the M³, do a bit of a search for them.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=m%5E3+gilmore <-- one review vs Gilmore lite - I don't agree with the reviewer's opinion regarding opamps, but it may be because I'm using 637s rather than 627s in the right and left channels and a 627 in the ground channel. Certainly the opa637 is warm, but it's very resolving at the same time, and definately has a bit of snap to it

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Ray Samuels amps and Headroom amps seem to mate well with Senns IMO.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 4
The HD-25 is an awesome amp, I know it's been raved about on Head-Fi many times. You can even save some dough by getting it's little brother, the HD300 and use that saved cash on some tubes. If I were faced with your budget and considered amps, I'd have an amp from Eddie Current on order
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back