please help me decide on a source to buy
Jan 6, 2003 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zchen

New Head-Fier
Anyone here know an online place where one can order the sony ce775 for less than $200? Tried my local best buy today, but they don't have any(I'm in westminster, CA by the way)...
frown.gif

maybe there are other options, I could order ns500v, or buy the nc650(1 unit at local place last time I checked.), or wait for more impressions on the philips 963sa. Not in a hurry, but would like to get something better than my pcdp soon. I need new toys...
rolleyes.gif

I guess my price range is ~$500

What do you guys think?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 11
zchen
THe reason I asked you was because I just got a new source that is fantastic. A SONY Compact Disc Minidisc Deck MXD-D40 that has its own power supply so you can put it where ever you would like to. Of course I use my Max Out META42 with it and it is a WOW factor.

Jan 7, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 11
Well, if your budget is $500. . . have you looked at the sony 333es? Its a VERY well regarded player. Run a search to read all the rave reviews. Check www.audiogon.com Sometimes, they have the modded players up for sale.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 11
sitting in front of the computer listening to Beethoven symphony no.6 (walter) through the line out of my d-777->meta42->hd580
smily_headphones1.gif
still haven't decided on a source yet
redface.gif

I'm new to the oc area, so I don't know if there are any places where I can audition any of these players. Plus I'm a bit reluctant about getting used players, also I read about some reliability issues about the 333es. sacd or pure cd? a changer or single disc? decisions...decisions...
confused.gif

Jan 19, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 11
I have a few suggestions for you. In my opinion, if you are wanting to use the player only for audio listening.. I wouldnt get a dvd player. Think about it... they have the spend the money for all the dvd playing capability, leaving the rest for cd playing. So you buy a 500 dollar dvd player and you get maybe a 300 dollar cd player.. See what im saying?

My first suggestion (the source i am getting ready to buy) is the NAD 541c .. Highly regarded player, plays hdcd's and has a 24bit burr brown DAC. It runs for $450 at holm.

If you dont want to spend quite that much take a look at the NAD 521c .. The little brother of the 541. 20 bit burr brown DAC .. Costs $269 from holm as well.

ALso, at response audio they have a package deal for a Music Hall CD-25.. Which has gotten very good reviews from what ive read.

The package includes:
1x Music Hall CD-25 (list $600)
1x Clarity Labs Emberglow 1M Interconnect (reg. $80)
1x Response RAM STANDARD PC-2, 3.5 ft. power cord (reg. $67)
FREE SHIPPING (lower 48) (reg. approx $25)

Package Price:$559

http://www.responseaudio.com/hall_n_creek1.htm

Jan 24, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 11
I did a bit of research into that musichall player and found out that it's actually a Shanling player, I have a friend that visit Shenzhen every few month, I'll see if I can get him to bring a shanling cd-s100 back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by akar
You can also get the Shanling CD-S100 in Canada for alot less than the Music Hall CD-25 is in the U.S.

Buying it in China is alot less than that in Canada too.

Jan 24, 2003 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 11
Stretch your budget and buy grinch's Rega Planet in the FS forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back