Please help me decide between the three(Soul Sl300, Master Tracks, boomphones phantom).
Jul 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

domin8r20

Head-Fier
Currently I have been looking for a new pair of over ear headphones that look cool, sound good (not an audiophile), and are under $200. I have narrowed it down to three: boomphones phantom, ludacris soul SL300, or Sol Republic master tracks. I will be using these on my iphone to listen to manly Rap and Hip-Hop. The SL300 retail for $300 (amazon: $123), boomphones retail at $150, and master tracks at $200 (amazon: $150) PLease help me decide, any info is welcome.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 9
How about the V-Moda M80 or LP2's. They're better than every headphone you listed with better sound quality, better bass, better build quality, and durability/portabalitity. You can also customize them to your liking (change the plates and add your name for example.)

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 9
I had looked into them, but felt that they were not as stylish and the m80's were on ear as opposed to over, while the lp2 were $200 which was substationally more then the others, but I'll look into them further if you think it's worth it. Of the two I think I would get the lp 2s not the m80 since I am looking for an over the ear design.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 9
If you havent already bought any of the headphone I can tell you the master tracks are pretty nice for "hip hop/rap". The construction and built quality is awesome. Basically if you didn't know the cable and headband is replaceable Since everything is detachable. Also the earpads are really soft so they wont hurt your ears. The headband is ok not the softest but still ok.

The sound quality is pretty good. I'll say the bass is very upfront and can be a bit over powering but I love bass so it doesn't bother me. The one thing I was disappointed with was the high. Its a bit recessed in my own opinion. Still love it and have been using it daily since I got it. Got to say though soundwise I still like mdr xb700 better. Better high and it sounds open. However the built and style of the headphone is awesome. Has a clean but very cool vibe to it.

One more thing depending on how you adjust the headband it can have a strong clamping force. keep that in mind.

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 9
It's been a long road on my trip for stylish on the go headphones (reasonably priced). I don't know if you are anyone else knows, but since I've considered the UE6000, noontec zoro HD, and Sony x10, but how do these compare?
Thanks for the help
-I'm with you on the bass

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 9
The one i tried for sure is the x10 and honestly I still think the older xb series are better. I also would pick the master tracks above the other three. However, if you were to pick from the three i would go for the x10

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 9
I tried the x10 and is was to big for my head, in addition the master tracks fealt ok, but they didn't have music on them in best buy so I couldn't here them, the ue6000 felt great but didn't have music so that was a bummer

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Currently I have been looking for a new pair of over ear headphones that look cool, sound good (not an audiophile), and are under $200. I have narrowed it down to three: boomphones phantom, ludacris soul SL300, or Sol Republic master tracks. I will be using these on my iphone to listen to manly Rap and Hip-Hop. The SL300 retail for $300 (amazon: $123), boomphones retail at $150, and master tracks at $200 (amazon: $150) PLease help me decide, any info is welcome.

Regarding the UE6000's, just bought them for $100 at BestBuy.  They are solid all-rounders with a warm signature and nice detail on the high end.

Tyll reviewed the Soul lineup on innerfidelity and he actually likes the SL150's (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/soul-ludacris-sl150-page-2) better than the SL300's.  The SL150s are $68 on Amazon.  His recommendations have never steered me wrong; the latest being the UE6000's. 

Per Tyll...
"If you love Ludacris, go ahead, but I want to tell you one little thing: while they don't have the cool light-up ear pieces, the less costly Soul by Ludacris SL150 sounds every bit as good to me and maybe better (the bass is tighter, for sure), and you'd save a Benjamin in the deal."

and...
"I found the Soul by Ludacris SL150 a breath of fresh air in what otherwise is the fairly mediocre category of "Celebrity Headphones." I think they're the best of both the Ludacris and Dr. Dre headphones that have a headband, and I'm quite comfortable giving them a hearty recommendation for those interested in a celebrity can.

FWIW, I compared the SL150's and the UE6000s several times over the past months and consistently liked the 6000s a little better.  However, my music tastes are a bit more varied and the most I get into Hip-Hop is Kanye and Black Eyed Peas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back