Please help me decide between ssennheiser hd600 or fidelio x1
Sep 18, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I have both, and I personally like the hd-600s better.

Both need amplification. There's a myth that the Fidelios do not need amplification, but I found it to be totally untrue. Their low impendance rate masks that they do sound richer with substantial power. They don't nearly sound as good without one, I'd say they are almost as hard to drive as the hd-600s. That said, I think the claim that the hd-600s are hard to drive is also wildly untrue: both headphones will perform extremely well out of a cheap amp like a fiio e11, e17, aune t1... they are not difficult headphones to drive whatsoever. 

As for sound, the Fidelios have more prominent sub-bass, the mids aren't as forward, they are less smooth and more rolled off on top than the Fidelios. The X1s are brighter (without being bright or sibilant), a bit less detailed, and a bit faster. The hd-600s have a much more neutral sound, though I don't find them lacking in bass at all, or anywhere for that matter. They are not dark. I think they benefit a lot from a cheap 650 replacement cable: they sound thicker and more forward even. The Fidelios also benefit greatly from a replacement cable, a cheap v-moda 80 cable does the trick quite well.

Both have excellent soundstage, but the Fidelios have some of the best instrument separation and soundstage I have heard. For the price, it's hard to go wrong.

As for ergonomics, both are quite comfy; I find the lighter hd-600s overall more pleasant, but people love the X1s in this regard.

Both work fantastically well out of my Aune T1, which is a dac-amp combo that can be acquired quite cheap used, with some amperex tube replacement. 

Overall, as for most things in this price bracket, it comes down to preference. Soundstage, separation and bass vs. mids, neutrality and resolution. The Fidelios can be acquired from 200 bucks or less, which I think is a steal. I would definitely wait for the X2s, however, seeing that they have replaceable pads.

I personally prefer the hd-600s since I mostly listen to jazz, and I just love the neutrality of the thing, and the luscious mids. Also, resolution and detail are important to me, and the Fidelios do sound a bit less resolved in that regard. Both are the best in the price bracket imo (dt880s are too bright and bass shy, he-400s are sibilant and have a very odd coloration plus are uncomfortable...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back