Please help me chose a CD player!
Apr 21, 2004 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
After months and months asking for advice on components, I have finally built a stereo system in my room.

The only sources I have are my turntable and my Terratec EWX 24/96 audio out, so I think buying a CD player is a good idea.

I am on a budget, so I have three options:

1) Teac CDP 1100

115803_1.jpg

2) JVC XL-Z232BK
xl-z232.jpg

(here's a review http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/jvc_xlz232_e.html )

3) A DVD player that will do better than those as a CD player

Please help me out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 19
Well, I'm sure you've heard of the Toshiba 3950 and 3960
biggrin.gif

Besides these, you might also look out for some good vintage cd players (that is marantz e.g.), especially if dvd-a and sacd aren't important to you.
Other than that you could get a Sony Esprit series Cd Player in a used condition for around 100-200 I suppose.

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 19
Make sure to include the new Toshiba SD-4900 also. It does DVD video, DVD audio, and CDs.

Apr 23, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 19
Does having a headphone out matters though? :p

I think not... since it'll be connected to my integrated amplifier and my headphone amp, so it doesn't make a difference!
smily_headphones1.gif

But still... I wonder if these players are ****ty, didn't get many replies, maybe they scared people away ^_^

I guess I'm just better off with my Terratec EWX's audio out until I can afford an MMF or something.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 19
toshiba really that much better than the sound card? cause i remember hearing from someone who owns both that it's better, but not by far. now if you didn't have a terratec, then it would be a good idea to get a toshiba.

i mean, i think it's probably a good idea to invest that 60 into a really good cd player and keep listening with the terratec for now. you'll enjoy the benefits of having a jukebox with other great options, and keep the 60 as well. when time comes and you've decided that you are willing to pay for an expensive quality cd player, then do it then.

but tha'ts just my opinion.

Apr 24, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 19
I am with the people that TRULY doubt that $60 piece of plastic is better than the Terratec! ^_^

I was hoping the JVC player would be a good idea, but apparently it's not.
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 19
I think part of the problem with replies is that most of the people on head-fi are from the US, and the TEAC/JVC models you mentioned aren't available here. JVC has not been selling single-disc CD players here in several years. And the TEAC single disc CD players we have are different than the one you mentioned.

The TEAC players (there are 2 reviews on the inexpensive TEAC CD players on tnt-audio.com) sounds like a good buy, considering their prices here, which is about US$80.00. The different models doesn't seem to be all that different. The TEAC C-1D CD player....now that looks like something more substantial, but US$200.00 here.

Maybe you should try the Toshiba DVD players....

Apr 24, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer
Does having a headphone out matters though? :p

I think not... since it'll be connected to my integrated amplifier and my headphone amp, so it doesn't make a difference!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

It will if you have to wait two months for your headphone amp, believe me
eggosmile.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 19
Ymer: Teac has often been good for a positive surprise, so maybe you should risk a closer look... Stereoplay has just reviewed the CD-P1250 (~ 150 Euro over here...), btw, and rated it with 48 points (to put that in (their) range, it's on level with the Marantz CD5000 and just one point below the NAD C521i...). THD spectrum looks fairly good, jitter graph seems ok. Bummer is that the thing appears to have no digital out - that is, according to Stereoplay's feature table (I don't put to much trust in these, though, as for example their table recently claimed both a MacIntosh and a T&A integrated to have no headphone out - despite both being faily obvious on Stereoplay's own photos... Also funny: Audio has recently intdroduced a new quick review section for brand new products - this month featuring the Alesis ML-9600; already reviewed in Stereo's February 2001 issue... Oh well, audio press... *sigh*
wink.gif
). Anyway, problem is in fact your Terratec - which makes it actually difficult to find much better standalone performers in the sub-US$300-range...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 25, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 19
In the end I think it'd be pretty dumb of me to buy a sub-$300 player that will not give me better results than my Terratec so I've decided to buy something a *little* more expensive.

I am thinking either Rega Planet 2000 or MMF CD25. Ideas?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back