Please help me choose
Apr 17, 2002 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rawhit

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this in diff thread but got no replies so starting a new thread...
as of now I just have a SBLive and driving my Grado 325s directly from it
redface.gif

im torn apart between two choices that Im looking at which are within my budget (~ USD 300). Would really appreciate any help.
rolleyes.gif

1 : Terratec DMX 6 fire + DIY Amp (USD 250 + 100 ): Upgrade my sound card as this card should be a big stepup from the SBLive but will tie down my listening to comp.

2 : portable Mp3/CD player + Art DI/O (USD 150 + 150) : for listening on the go and connect an ART DI/O to the pcdp for home listening. This seems to be the most flexible setup as I will be able to get an audiophile quality source from home and a portable setup too.

I really don't listen to music on the go (walking etc) so looking for more of a (trans)portable setup which I can carry in a bag and which can work with batteries also.

Any suggestions regarding the above would be great.
Are there any good MP3/CD players which have digital out? i guess DI/O needs a coax input

thanx for your input
RawHit

Apr 17, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Sounds like you've really already decided... you stated that your preference is for something transportable. If that's the case, go for a pcd. Heck, you can get something like a Panasonic 570 for $80 or the Pana Shockwave 895 for ~$100, add a HeadRoom Airhead (or DIY amp) plus decent cable and have enough cash left over for more music.

If you're totally into MP3, then consider the iRiver SlimX, add the amp and you're still under the $300 mark.

It'll probably sound a WHOLE lot better than what's coming out of the SB card.

Good luck!
Bruce

Apr 18, 2002 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 5
BDA_ABAT
thanx for replying
the SlimX does look very tempting...and may be I'll end up buying it
but it does not have an option to upgrade (external DAC)...so to better the sound quality the only way left would be to buy a new player which is the only reason delaying my decision
and it sure is not cheap for a pcdp

may be im asking for too much but I was looking for a pcdp which can play mp3 (my mp3 collection is bigger than CD collection) and has a digital out also but it seems none of players available now have both capabilites

Apr 19, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 5
andrzejpw
I have no idea how the powerful the analog output of Art DI/O is.
I guess in the second choice also I would build an amp first and later upgrade to Art DI/O.
Driving the phones straight from DI/O probabaly is a bad idea.
rolleyes.gif

RawHit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back