Please help me choose next headphones, Grados are considered.
Nov 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

redstar

100+ Head-Fier
Budget: £1,800
Source: Burson Conductor SL 1970 (optical from source)
Isolation Requirements: open back preferably
Preferred type of headphone: Over-ear, comfy, beyer DT770 most comfortable that ive owned.

Primary usage : watching movies
Other uses: Also will be used for gaming

Preferred type of music: Heavy metal, electronic, punk hardcore
Headphones that own: Beyer DT 770 (80 ohm), Audeze LCD-X

Headphones interested in buying next: Grado GS1000e, Grado PS1000e

Hi all,

Im looking to buy into some new headphones. Im currently using a burson conductor SL, with Audeze LCD-X.
I think the sound quality and experience from the LCD-X are amazing, only reason im looking for new headphones is due to the comfort of the lcd-x, which becomes very uncomfy after prolonged usage. When I auditioned them, i didnt wear them long enough to realise this.

I would like to mention, I use my headphones mostly for watching movies.
My burson is connected from the tv via optical.

I have become quite interested in the top tier Grados, I have yet to audition them.
Has anybody used the GS or PS Grados while watching movies?

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on what I should look into next.

Thanks.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm surprised that you are looking for another headphone to replace the LCD X at times, and are considering Grados! Man, Grados have to be the most uncomfortable things to grace my head so there's no way I can recommend them for comfort. 

IMO I think you should get a Beyer T1 or an HD650 for movies/comfort.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 5
thanks for the helpful replies, most appreciated.

Are the PS1000e unfomfortable?

Some that have caught my interest are;
Fostex th600 or 900
Beyer T1

I would quite like something with great bass impact, ive got the impression the TH900 has good impact. How comfy are the TH900s

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
 Grados have to be the most uncomfortable things to grace my head so there's no way I can recommend them for comfort. 

Sounds like you've never tried any Grado with bowl pads. 
Grado on-ear phones are not great for comfort. But the bowls are fine. 

Still wouldn't recommend any Grado for gaming though. They don't offer the best positional cues or bass impact required by some cinematic gaming.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 5
So at the moment, I am focusing on the Fostex TH900. My only uncertainty is the Closed VS Open. The LCD-X where my first open headphones, and I do like that.
I love how beautiful music sounds with the LCD-X, and I fear I may not get that same joy on another headphone (I wish the LCD-X was more comfy and lighter)

The Beyer DT770 80ohms are my only experience of a closed can, and Im not sure how radically different the experience of the TH900 will be.
I feel when listening to music, and watching films, on the Beyers I have, the music feels quite close to my ears (like a small room without any echo), however when I listen to music and watch films on the LCD-X, it feels alot more spacious and grand. I like that spacious feeling.

I do like what im reading about the HD800, however the bass is apparently not as great for movie watching, and I also read that perhaps the HD800 is a tad to artificial with the spacial effect.

Im also concerned about how another headphone will react to my Burson Conductor, i read a post somewhere that the Burson could make the TH900 muddy, or too warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back