Please help me choose my first set of headphones!! =)
Oct 17, 2012 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Unleaded91

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am new to the hifi world and now looking to buy my first set of headphones. Just for reference, I have an ODAC and KRK RP5 G1 bookshelf speakers that I use with my PC and I really like the sound quality I am getting. 

I share my room with my brother and we both have our PCs in the room. When I try to listen to my music, he could be also listening to his music, sleeping or studying. So in short, i would like to get a set of headphones so that I can listen or game without hearing outside noises or bothering others.

As for music genres, I listen to almost any style. R&B, hip hop, pop, classical, contemporary, rock/metal etc. So I would like to get a "use it for all genre" headphones. I also play games like Call of duty, battlefield, and Command and Conquer etc. but most of the time, I listen to music. I like bass but not overwhelming bass to the point that it is drowning the mids and highs. I guess I am looking for a well balanced set of headphones.

I dont have a lot of lossless audio files but I do have 320kbps ones.

I know closed cans will suit me better but I just dont know which one to get.

I have looked at the AKG K550 and Hifiman HE-400 (open back)

My budget is under $500 and I am willing to get an amp if necessary (like the O2)

I hear that the open headphones leak sound and gets noise from the surroundings. Is it really that loud and open that it will affect my listening experience?

Please give me your suggestions and comments!! Thanks in advanced!!

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi Unleaded - welcome to the forum!  I  have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s (which I love, and which are on sale this week for $120), but I really want the $399 HiFiMan HE-400s and their planar magnetic drivers.

That said, they are open back and your brother will probably not be happy with you :)

This reviewer on Amazon says, "[size=small]Trust me when I say anyone seated within 6-12 feet from you will be able hear everything you are listening to down to the smallest detail..."[/size]

[size=x-small]Good luck with your decision![/size]

[size=x-small]Bill[/size]
[size=x-small]Hybrid Camera Revolution[/size]

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 6
Yes HE-400 it could be bothering your brother and you since it's an open back

K550 will fit your genres except R&B, hip hop, rock and metal
Maybe take a look at Beyer DT770s variant? You will need a decent amp though

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Hi Unleaded - welcome to the forum!  I  have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s (which I love, and which are on sale this week for $120), but I really want the $399 HiFiMan HE-400s and their planar magnetic drivers.

That said, they are open back and your brother will probably not be happy with you :)

This reviewer on Amazon says, "[size=small]Trust me when I say anyone seated within 6-12 feet from you will be able hear everything you are listening to down to the smallest detail..."[/size]

[size=x-small]Good luck with your decision![/size]

[size=x-small]Bill[/size]
[size=x-small]Hybrid Camera Revolution[/size]

Based on what I've read so far, the HE-400 seems to be a really good set of headphones. I wonder how much noise will I hear when someone is watching a video while I am listening to my music using a HE-400. 

Quote:
Yes HE-400 it could be bothering your brother and you since it's an open back

K550 will fit your genres except R&B, hip hop, rock and metal
Maybe take a look at Beyer DT770s variant? You will need a decent amp though

I am fine getting an amp. I will look in to the DT770s. Is there another headphone that is a good complement to the HE-400?

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 6
You could always get the HE-400s and then get a decent gaming headset to go with them that way you can listen to music when it won't bother your brother and switch to the headset for gaming or when you would disturb others.  With open back headphones others will hear them easily and you will hear others easily, but they do sound way better than closed back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back