Please help me choose headphones!
Nov 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KhoaAviator

New Head-Fier

Hi everyone!

I just joined Head-fi.org today, so please bare with me!

I've bought many cheap headphones but after a long time use my  ears starts to hurt. Due to the fact that they were cheap, they were easily damaged and some of them even came apart.  

This time I want to buy new headphones that are worth the buy, and I expect them to be slightly expensive.

I've used Sennheiser headphones before and I really like it. I look forward to buy the Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558, HD 598 or the HD 448.

I listen mostly to Pop music, so I guess that cool "punchy bass feeling is not necessary, but it's a bonus if they have it!

I'm looking for comfort and the clear- & crisp sound. Again, the sound and the comfort are very important. I'll use the headphones with my iPhone andiPad

I'm new to this topic, so please answer my questions with patience.

1. The Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598 are for Hifi's and TV's. Will they work fine with my iPhone and iPad?

2. The Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598 are "open" headphones. From what I've known, they will leak out sound (correct me if I'm wrong). I'll normally use the headphones in school, on the go, on the tram and at home. I always listen with a very low volume. Can a person sitting next to me hear the music? If yes, can I "turn off" that feature or is the "closed headphones" like the HD 448 the only choice for me?

3. How loud are "open" headphones? If I listen with extremely low volume, will a person sitting next to me hear the music? If you include all the noises in a classroom or in a tram, will they still hear the music?

4. And finally, which one do you think is the best for me and worth the buy? 

Thanks, I'll appreciate your answers! 
size]

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 3
I never thought I'd find myself recommending headphones like this, but V-MODA m-80s. They have the right balance for pop and have punchy bass, without it being over-bearing. They are very well-built too.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Hi everyone!I just joined Head-fi.org today, so please bare with me!I've bought many cheap headphones but after a long time use my  ears starts to hurt. Due to the fact that they were cheap, they were easily damaged and some of them even came apart.  
This time I want to buy new headphones that are worth the buy, and I expect them to be slightly expensive.
I've used Sennheiser headphones before and I really like it. I look forward to buy the Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558, HD 598 or the HD 448.I listen mostly to Pop music, so I guess that cool "punchy bass feeling is not necessary, but it's a bonus if they have it!I'm looking for comfort and the clear- & crisp sound. Again, the sound and the comfort are very important. I'll use the headphones with my iPhone andiPad. I'm new to this topic, so please answer my questions with patience.
1. The Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598 are for Hifi's and TV's. Will they work fine with my iPhone and iPad?
2. The Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598 are "open" headphones. From what I've known, they will leak out sound (correct me if I'm wrong). I'll normally use the headphones in school, on the go, on the tram and at home. I always listen with a very low volume. Can a person sitting next to me hear the music? If yes, can I "turn off" that feature or is the "closed headphones" like the HD 448 the only choice for me?3. How loud are "open" headphones? If I listen with extremely low volume, will a person sitting next to me hear the music? If you include all the noises in a classroom or in a tram, will they still hear the music?4. And finally, which one do you think is the best for me and worth the buy? Thanks, I'll appreciate your answers! 
size]

Open headphones let everyone around hear your music and the outside noise distracts whatever your listening to.

Semi-open headphones might work for you.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
Superlux HD-668B or HD-662F
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back