Please help me choose headphones (Gaming, Music, Films) - $300/£150
Oct 21, 2007 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gimpymoo

New Head-Fier
I am in need of a quality set of cans for connecting to my PC for the following uses:

Music
Gaming
TV
Films

I originally looked at the Medusa surround sound headsets thinking they were great, then realised they were not that good for anything other than gaming. So, I would rather have a GREAT sounding ALL ROUND pair of Stereo headphones than an OK sounding surround sound set with limited uses. The way I see it is a good set of stereo headphones will last me a LONG time and can be used with numerous devices. I did want a headset with Mic, but the compromise on the quality of headphones was too great so am getting a good quality desktop Microphone which is even better.

I have an OK 2.1 speaker set but as I mainly use the PC in the evenings, Im not able to crank it up, hence the need for some good headphones.

I know my budget is not the highest but I would hope to be able to get a good set for the money.

Presently, I am using an onboard AC'97 audio chipset but will soon be upgrading to a deecent sound card or DAC but need to do my research on that first.

I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD595's which seem a good set, but am unsure what they will be like for gaming audio.

Comfort is important as I currently have a VERY cheap pair of headphones which make my ears sore after ½ hours use.

I guess good spacial seperation and BASS are important but not a requirement.

If they can be bought from this store:
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/

Even better as it is local and I could collect and they seem to have good prices but if not, I have no problem ordering to be delivered.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

James
Audiophile In Training

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 10
Maybe HD650 is good for you,
although the price is a bit higher. With a better sound card, HD650 can give you the best sound. And it is comfortable. Also BASS is enough for a movie.

595 is a good phone, but still far from 650, I think.

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 10
If you can afford the over budget price for these many people will probably reccomend them

Audio Technica A900
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headpho...Headphones.htm

The audio technica Ax00 (5,7,9 to replace x) are constantly recommended for gaming since they have a very good soundstage (ability to perceive location from music and games even though they are stereo) , they do music well, and have some bass but it isn't overwhelming and bloating covering the music, they are also found to be very comfortable.

Also check out the beyer dt770 (pro)
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headpho...amic+DT770.htm
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headpho...+DT770+PRO.htm

Im not sure if there is much advantage to the non pro other than looks and maybe having the leather headband with plates instead of the wrap around headband

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grodecki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go for the Audio Technicas (which I ordered today), buy them from AudioCubes and get them shipped over here (to the UK), they are almost half the price.

yeah the A900s are great headphones but way overpriced there. Buy them from AudioCubes, they are a great store.

But if you want to buy from that store, the HD595 seems to be the headphone that they have the best price on for you.

The DT770s are great too, but then again I just think they offer a better price on the HD595s than the other two. But then again you can buy those cans somewhere else if you would like.

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 10
HFI-700 is what I seem to be recommending a lot for movie watchers and gamers these days...

Not all shabby in the music department too ofcourse.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 10
HD650's will need an amp to get the best from them really.

I'd be tempted to go for some HD25's, as they do bass well, and work well without an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks all for helping me choose and letting me discover a new world which I never knew existed what with DAC's, Headphone amps etc.

A few days ago, I thought the 5.1 Medusas were the epitomy of headphones and AC'97 audio was compareable to a premium standalone sound card.. Mmmmm - How foolish I was.

With the help of this forum and the peeps at head-fi, I narrowed it down to the following:

Beyerdynamic DT770
Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Art Headphones
Sennheiser HD595

I went with the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Art Headphones and can not wait as they will be the first "Real" pair of cans ive owned.

I chose the A900's as they seem to be more of an all rounder really. They seem to have enough BASS without being BOOMY and are very good spatially which is important for gaming in my opinion. Should definitely put the "scare" back into gaming playing FEAR with these on in the dark

As I am "bitten" by the bug, I am also getting a Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty to accompany my little monsters. Hoping the virtual surround sound for headphones works OK on these.

In a few weeks time, dont come a knockin, my head will definitely be a'rockin

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpymoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in need of a quality set of cans for connecting to my PC for the following uses:

Music
Gaming
TV
Films

I originally looked at the Medusa surround sound headsets thinking they were great, then realised they were not that good for anything other than gaming. So, I would rather have a GREAT sounding ALL ROUND pair of Stereo headphones than an OK sounding surround sound set with limited uses. The way I see it is a good set of stereo headphones will last me a LONG time and can be used with numerous devices. I did want a headset with Mic, but the compromise on the quality of headphones was too great so am getting a good quality desktop Microphone which is even better.

I have an OK 2.1 speaker set but as I mainly use the PC in the evenings, Im not able to crank it up, hence the need for some good headphones.

I know my budget is not the highest but I would hope to be able to get a good set for the money.

Presently, I am using an onboard AC'97 audio chipset but will soon be upgrading to a deecent sound card or DAC but need to do my research on that first.

I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD595's which seem a good set, but am unsure what they will be like for gaming audio.

Comfort is important as I currently have a VERY cheap pair of headphones which make my ears sore after ½ hours use.

I guess good spacial seperation and BASS are important but not a requirement.

If they can be bought from this store:
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/

Even better as it is local and I could collect and they seem to have good prices but if not, I have no problem ordering to be delivered.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

James
Audiophile In Training

Sen 595
DT770
AT 900
Denon 2000
Pro line 2500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back