Please help me choose between a couple of units PLEASE!!
Jun 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mk351e

100+ Head-Fier
Being that this thread is getting almost zero attention in the amp forum, I thought I'd post it here. (If this is against some policy, just let me know.) Lots of views, and no responses! Why??? Did I say something wrong? My breath smell? Do guys here hate new people? Surely lots of people are interested in this topic based on all the views, but no one can help? Or does no one know the answer?? And for what it's worth, I'm not being lazy; I've spent DOZENS of hours searching and reading EVERYTHING I can get my hands on in this whole site. And the web in general.  

Hey folks, I was wrapping up choosing an amp, and then I discovered that there are DAC units with built in HP amps!! Woohoo!!! So, here's where I'm at. I listen to cd's, cable tv, and video games. I use my PS3 for everything. I have Denon D7000's, and love everything about them. I currently use them with a killer HT receiver (circa 1998), and think they sound fine, but I don't use speakers anymore, so I figure I'll get a HP amp in place of the receiver. I would REALLY like to get one of these all in one boxes, as I don't have much money, and would prefer to use a stand alone DAC, as opposed to the PS3's internal. And especially the cable box; that DAC stinks! I listen to rock (all types), rap, and electronic dance music. I like BIG accurate bass, smooth, detailed midrange, and smooth, effortless, airy, sparkly highs. Soundstage isn't too important to me; I kinda like the intimate soundstage I get now with my setup. But dynamic life like sound that is as close to some big megabuck speakers is what I'm after.

So, I've narrowed it down to 2 different units: the Audio GD FUN, or the Yulong DAH1 Mark (NOT mark 2!). The reason I don't want mark 2 is that mark has a remote control and an RCA input too!! A remote control!!!!! Awesome! Anywho, I'm willing to forego the convenience of the remote control if the Audio GD will actually sound better. I think it might, but who knows? Supposedly the Yulong's amp is just a Black Cube Linear clone; while the FUN's is an updated version of something good that they make (forgot what).

And then of course, there's the possibility I should just get an amp, and use the analog outs on the PS3 because they're fine. I don't know. If you KNOW then please tell (don't just bash the PS3 because it's for video games). I doubt it though.

So, what would you buy, and why? I will say this: I have no desire to buy an amp now, then an outboard DAC later. This is strictly an amp only now, or all in one now only.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 13
yeah, I've never seen a forum like this. I read SOOOO much before I even joined let alone posted anything, then when I did, I gave every possible relevant bit of information to my one question, AND posted it in both relevant forums. And for only one or two useful responses. I'm shocked really, and thoroughly dissappointed. I really hope this turns around.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Could be that there aren't too many people with personal experience with both of your mentioned units, so I wouldn't take it personally.  I personally haven't heard either so the reason I don't have any opinion has to do with that and not with the smell of your breath over the internet. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 13
I think that's the issue.  I personally haven't heard either of these units (heard the Mk II Yulong, but that's not the same).  It's generally considered a bad idea here for people to comment on gear they haven't heard, and you've asked for a comparison of one very new and one discontinued product.  I think it's unlikely you would get any helpful responses.

So you either need to broaden your options, or make some assumptions on your own based on reading up about the individual units.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 13
ahhh, now i get it! Fair enough; i think my best bet is to wait another few weeks, and attend the NJ meet. Thanks skylab!

And if anyone wants to make an educated guess/ suggestion as to what we be a good idea here, based on something other than a random guess, that's cool too! :wink:

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 13
I do have one suggestion - if you want to take a chance on one, the Audio-GD FUN would almost certainly be easier to sell in the FS forums here if for some reason you didn't like it.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 13
I bet it would! Something tells me that's the one I should get, but the convenience of a remote control on the Yulong is VERY tempting. Still, I'd be willing to ditch the remote if the FUN really sounded better. But perhaps the biggest question here is: do I really need a DAC for my PS3?? I realize the natural initial response on a forum full of headphone audiophiles would be YES, and ditch the PS3 ideally. But I need to keep it, and I wonder if it really needs a DAC. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. The only DAC I have access to is the internal on my Sony DA777ES receiver (from the late 90's), so I'm not sure that's a meaningful comparison.

Who knows? Maybe i should get an all in one DAC/AMP. Maybe I should get the Matrix M Stage that I want with some cheap DAC. Or maybe no DAC. Or maybe I should get the Sony ES preamp I want and change the opamps. Or maybe this is quickly spiraling out of control!!

I'm open to ANY GOOD advice! All I know is I love my D7000's.

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 13
I vote for spiraling out of control. 
wink_face.gif

You're the only person who can really tell you whether you need a DAC, so it may be worthwhile to either go with the combo or decide on an amp and then research DAC options if you are not satisfied with the sound quality you're getting amped.  That way you can appreciate any positive or negative impacts on the system for yourself.  I personally used the analog outputs on my PS3 for only a few weeks before switching over to HDMI connections to my  receiver and never used it at all for music, only games and movies.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 13
equus: my problem is this: I don't know any better. See, I've had and loved my cans for a year, and I've had my receiver for a few years. Problem is, I really don't use it. I haven't even had speakers hooked up to it in a year! After a lot of thought, I've come to the conclusion that I have no use for this receiver now, and I'm almost 100% sure I won't in the future. I've been using it as a 56 pound headphone amp for a few years now. So, if I sell it, then I can take that money, and get a headphone amp. And that is *supposed* to sound better, though I have NO idea, having never heard one. I would however like to have a dac for use with my cable box (it's internal dac is HORRIBLE), and for my ps3. However, I don't know if the dac in the ps3 is good or bad; my only way of comparing is with the internal dac on this receiver, but it's old, and I would imagine that any new dac would be better. I do accept that I could be wrong about any or all of this though, and would like to know.

There's a REAL good chance though that I'm just gonna go with the Yulong; just for the remote control. The more I think about the way I ACTUALLY LISTEN, the more important I realize the remote is to me.

And yes, CLEARLY spiralling out of control! I even made a spreadsheet that I update daily (hourly!?!?) about all the different models I'm considering! Yes, I'm nuts. The real question here though is, can I wait til July 24th to buy something??

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 13
I remember reading somewhere on here a thread about the differences between a dedicated headphone amp vs a built in headphone amp in a receiver. If I remember correctly, the consensus was that solid state headphone amps are over rated and it really has more to do with the compatibility of your cans with the amp. Just some food for thought.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 13
Well, depends on which headphone amps you're comparing to what receivers you're talking about.  Most modern "budget" receivers don't have really great headphone outs...that's not what they're primarily there for.  My inexpensive Onkyo receivers sound more congested to my ears than either of my portable headphone amps, but if I compared them to more expensive amps that may have better implementation on the headphone side, it may be a different story.

@mk351e - There's a DAC in your cable box?  Are you actually using digital cable signal and outputting analog from the box?  If your cable box does not output a digital signal as well, a DAC won't make any difference on that end.  A lot is also going to depend on what source materials you're using.  If you're using non-HD sources (DVDs or whatever) in your PS3, the potential is somewhat limited already.  The entire chain only operates at the highest potential of the weakest link, with some elements (like the headphones) being of slightly more importance in how they affect the whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back