PLEASE Help me choose a Discman
Dec 30, 2005 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

J Tran

100+ Head-Fier
I decided to upgrade from my iPod Mini to a PCDP. I'm very very new here and I'm wondering if you can help me choose.

I'm not looking for much. The D-777 fits everything I need.
All I really want is good sound and ESP. Anything else is a bonus. Do you guys think the D-777 is good for me? Or is something more modern a better choice? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I'm very sorry guys, but I'm going against your advice and going for a... Sony D-E351, but it only costs 5 dollars CND from my friend! I'm not sure how good it sounds compared to everything else, but without a doubt better than my Mini. Thanks guys... Also, how do you delete this thread?

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Tran
All I really want is good sound and ESP.

Hey, don't we all...
biggrin.gif

EDIT:stupid, thinking of "extra-sensory perception", not shock protection

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Tran
I decided to upgrade from my iPod Mini to a PCDP. I'm very very new here and I'm wondering if you can help me choose.

I'm not looking for much. The D-777 fits everything I need.
All I really want is good sound and ESP. Anything else is a bonus. Do you guys think the D-777 is good for me? Or is something more modern a better choice? Thanks a lot!

If you need MP3 and CD-RW playback, than of course you'd need something more modern. But as you didn't indicate that, perhaps that D-777 is all you need. Remember to look before you leap, though. I wonder what's the best of the 'semi-modern' (anything before G-Protection, mid-1999; and after ESP's introduction in the early 1990s) CD players.

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 19
DNE-10(analog Amp) i got from ebay for $82.00
DNE-900(same as DNE-10 with small display window)-ebay for $99.00
DNE-20(digital Amp)
DNE-920(same as DNE-20 with small display window)
Those players are the best right now IMO
correct me if i'm wrong.
Thanks

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 19
D-EJ2000, modern, smallest redbook only player, light, and it can use the line out and remote simultaneusly (huge plus point for me).

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 19
Look for a player with *uncompressed* ESP. Not always easy to tell if it's compressed or not, but most of the older ones with only a few seconds of skip protection do.

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 19
Panasonic 470 and 570 each had selectable ESP off/10sec/40sec, so you can choose your compression. These are older (4-5yr) models, so no mp3/atrac, no good amp, just great battery life and line outs. There are probably tons of others folks could mention. The Panny's were very highly rated on this forum, even after being discontinued.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 19
As it was mentioned earlier if you need a PCDP that plays MP3s, look at the current line up (the DNE series). If you don't need a PCDP to play MP3s and has ESP the D-777 may fit the bill. Only one drawback to the D-777 is that it can get quite costly to obtain one as they are being sought after by PCDP collectors and audiophiles alike. The D-465 and D-321 will offer similar sound qualities as the D-777 and can be had for less money than the D-777. They are a little bulkier than the D-777 and has a metal shell instead of one made of carbon fiber.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by CWW
Panasonic 470 and 570 each had selectable ESP off/10sec/40sec, so you can choose your compression. These are older (4-5yr) models, so no mp3/atrac, no good amp, just great battery life and line outs. There are probably tons of others folks could mention. The Panny's were very highly rated on this forum, even after being discontinued.

Another vote for the CT-SL570. It can be found for <$50 here or on eBay. Good lineout, good headphone out. Not too useful though for portable use.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 19
Thank you guys sooo much! But now that I think of it... I don't even need shock protection. My Mini can be my portable use, and the PCDP can be my indoor/home use. I'm going to go PCDP hunting today in pawn shops. I seen a D-777 in the sale forum for 80 USD and that looks really nice to me. I'll also probably be buying PX-200s with my left over money. So I'll tell you guys if I found anything. Thanks!

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 19
The D-777 is okay I guess. I find it a bit dark sounding overall and I prefer the D-465 to it from that era. However, many do seem to be quite happy with its output.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 19
Dark sounding? Well for me, an iPod Mini and some 10 dollar sony earbuds are good enough for me. So I think the D-777 would be fine. Accually it is perfect, I've heard it with some PX-200s and they're great.

So My PCDP hunting trip didn't go over so well... Didn't find anything that I was accually looking for. But I did find some Discmen that interested me. My chances of getting a D-777 now are very high.

EDIT: Oh sorry didn't see your post Kuba. Yes, I was told they sound better, but I think noise cancellation is more important. But I'll look in to it.

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 19
Well, I'd definitely snag that D-777 in the for sale forum. Better hurry since he's about to put it on eBay! (best price I've seen thus far for a D-777)

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 19
The best price? Wow, I've already sent him a PM for pics. How much would it usually cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back