Please Help Me Choose a DAP
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cujobob

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new player and would really like some help.

Currently I use WAV files on my 16GB Iphone 3G, but my IPhone not only cannot hold enough, but the battery life is worsening and its never been particularly spectacular. I'll probably switch to FLAC later on, though.

I'd like a nice interface, great neutral SQ that is as high-end as possible, good battery life, and storage of at least 30-32 GB.

Price-wise...probably looking $100-300 (though I have considered the Hifiman HM-801 if its a significant step up)

Reliability is also a concern...which is why I'm unsure of Cowon offerings..but certainly open, the S9 looks intruiging (from their own website's page, at least)

This forum confuses me slightly with so many recommendations given out...SQ is probably priority #1 for me.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 8
if SQ is your ball then please do yourself a favor and get that HiFiMan. but as it is you have to sacrifice that awesome battery life you want. reliability - well its a question i ask too. otherwise as per the norms here you will please yourself getting the sony X walkman or the S9. Particularly the S9 fits as a nice compromise for your requirements.
Good luck hunting.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Cowon S9 is pretty much the top choice atm, since it got gapless on some format.
The samsung P3 was a nifty thing but looks like we'll never get another firmware for it since samsung is more focused on getting a new pmp every month than updating its other products.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 8
I've been doing research and honestly, not getting anywhere...every offering seems to either have poor battery life, too little space (or lack of upgradeability), or something of that nature. Sony's are higher priced than the rest and the SONY brand name isn't one I'm too fond of (if its a superior product I'd definitely consider it). IRiver stuff that I checked out was lacking in the things I mentioned in the beginning.

Ipod Classic, Cowon S9, HM-801 are three options at this point...what else am I missing?

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 8
Both the S9 and X have excellent SQ. If you're buying in the US, the X will be north of 3 bills (Amazon has the 32GB for $370). If storage is of concern, FLAC is the way to go for lossless. Have not heard the HifiMAN so can't comment on its SQ. You might want to mention what phones you'll be using and your music preferences (genres, presentation) as that will help determine the best synergy.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 8
What's wrong with SONY? Don't buy their $5 headphones and $15 discmans, that's all. A, S, X Walkmans sounds great... stay away from the E series, too cheap. You gotta wait for 32 GB though until the new series (only out in Japan yet)

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 8
SONY generally overprices all of their products and very few of their electronics are any good....cameras, tvs, high end audio, etc. There are always much better products in the same pricerange.

I'll be using a pair of JH13 for listening and I have a diverse music collection...I may just wait a bit longer until higher storage devices are out.

Anyone happen to know a good windows mobile music player app? The stock ap that came in my Touch Pro 2 is hardly useable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back