Please help me build a speaker rig
Nov 30, 2004 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nismo96

500+ Head-Fier
I've been considering building a simple stereo rack and some speaker stands for my "personal" stereo setup, as well as upgrading my gear a bit. My wife can keep the current setup for the "home theatre."

My setup will be built around my existing CD player and speakers, a Sony CDP-XA1ES and Boston Acoustics CR5 bookshelf speakers, I'd hyperlink the speakers, but I can't find anything on it on the web. Even Boston's site has barely a reference to this model anymore. The Sony is nice because among other things, it has a fixed and a variable output on the unit. I can use headphones and control the volume with a knob on the front of the unit or by the remote control. It's old gear, but it's served me well and I intend to use it until the CD player and speakers die.

I'm looking into what integrated amp I can use to power the speakers. The Pioneer Elite a35r is topping my list in this regard. The Pioneer has it's own headphone jack that is supposed to very nice, so I may not even need to consider a dedicated headphone amp. I'm open to suggestions on another amp if you have them. I also want a nice MDLP minidisc deck with Optical In /Out. Any suggestions here would be much appreciated as well. I'll change this item to a Hi-MD deck if they ever get released. I currently use Monster cable in my entire TV/stereo setup now. I'd like to upgrade that as well for this rig. I will most likely try to DIY my own RCAs.

I'm also planning on building my own furniture for this gear. I'm going to have to wait for this part of the plan until we move out of our apartment and into a house. No power tools in the living room.
frown.gif
The TNT Flexy Rack and TNT Stubby speaker stands are what I'm looking into in that regard.

The stereo rack
flexy.jpg

The speaker stand
forest.jpg

I'd really like input as to opinions of this setup. Please help me build a nice stereo for my personal pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back