Please help me, brain melting, unable to choose: IEM for isolation and sleep
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rjalex

New Head-Fier
Dear friends,
the more I read reviews and find deals on amazon or ebay, the more I am unable to decide :frowning2: I really need your help.

I am looking for an IEM, budget up to 100 (but if there was a gigantic step in quality could stretch a little) to be used in two different settings:

a) un-amplified with Zip+ at night, as a side sleeper. Look for comfortable fit and no sound leakeage to avoid divorce :)

b) office, amplified (CMoy or O2), to isolate from the terrible distracting chatter of an inhuman crowded open space.

I listen to very different genres of music from Glenn Gould to Dead can Dance to "world music" to pop/rock and I really love details and soundstage and clarity and neutrality and extension (my english is bad ut hopefully you'll get what I mean).

I have been reading about Senn SE215 but they seem lacking isolation, Rockit Sounds R-50 but the seem not flush hence uncomfortable in bed, etc etc etc

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi,

You should consider Yamaha EPH-100
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-eph-100sl-inner-ear-headphone

Best Luck!

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks so much for trying to help. I had stumbled on those reviews and was a bit worried about the "Ear fatigue/uncomfortable" and "weak cable" feedbacks (both of which could be a problem for my desire to wear them to fall asleep). Also the design looks it protrudes quite a lot from the ear or not ?

Arriba Argentina !!! :)

Ciao.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 14
So - your wife snores too? :p

You should look for a flush fitting IEM with a very comfortable tip like a Comply foam. I use these for sleeping, They are small, cheap and I won't care if I break them:
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Sport-Fi-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2U

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 14
  Thanks so much for trying to help. I had stumbled on those reviews and was a bit worried about the "Ear fatigue/uncomfortable" and "weak cable" feedbacks (both of which could be a problem for my desire to wear them to fall asleep). Also the design looks it protrudes quite a lot from the ear or not ?

Arriba Argentina !!! :)

Ciao.

Well, my younger brother uses his EPH-100 and he fall asleep wearing them. I've found his EPH-100 lying on the floor many times. He's not careful with his IEMs but never had any trouble with his Yamaha.

This headphones includes 5 different sized earpads, switching between them you can get extra confort or isolation, get a tad more (or less) bass.

They don't protrude much, they are pretty small indeed, picking a small pair of earpads allows them to go farther into your ear. I don't have much experience with the smallest earpads.

Anyway confort is a pretty personal thing.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 14
So - your wife snores too?
tongue.gif

You should look for a flush fitting IEM with a very comfortable tip like a Comply foam. I use these for sleeping, They are small, cheap and I won't care if I break them:
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Sport-Fi-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2U

how is the sound quality of this one comparing to CX 300 or CX 400? I am also looking for an IEM for the sleepy time......
I have been using cx 400 II for almost 3 years. It will break at any moment.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 14
About 10 years ago, I had the Creative version of the CX300 (the Creative EP630). I found it very dark and muddy. I have never heard the CX400, nor have I heard the latest version of the CX300 II.

The Mee M6 is a $20 earphone - don't get your hopes up too high. It's not horrible, but it's not going to come close to matching even the the modestly priced Shure SE215. The cable is not very good - but it works. Given the choice between the Mee M6 and my old Creative EP630, I would take the M6. YMMV.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 14
What Comply plugs models would fit the M6 buds ? (I live in Italy and use amazon.it for buying this stuff and there's a lot of different "models").

Would those same tips be beneficial also for the Yamaha ?

Thanks a lot to everyone for the suggestions.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Oooops sorry, found the model for Comply for the M6 (not for the EPH-100) on the Comply website :)

They list the T-200 as the proper model.

I'd be considering the Comfort or Comfort plus models. Is the "wax barrier" of the latter a) useful b) really acoustically transparent ?

Most importantly, without being able to try them first how do I figure out if I need the Small, Medium or Large models ?

Thanks

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 14
You really can't determine the size you need - other than basing it off the different size tips that come with the M6 and making a guess. You might spend some money on tips before you find the right ones for you - it's just unfortunately part of the game when you start tip-rolling your IEMs.

This might help - but these are not a perfect fit for the M6. These are the equivalent of the T100 Comply, not the T200. I was able to rip the tubes out of some T100 Comply that I already had and fit the foam to the M6. YMMV...

http://www.earplugstore.com/westone-tips-ultra-combo-pack.html

BTW, if you really want to go wild, buy some foam earplugs from the drugstore and poke a hole through them (this is harder than it sounds!), then use the tubes from an old pair of tips with the modified ear plugs. You might need to cut down the length of the earplug a little bit. Presto! DIY IEM tips. It does work, but the real tips work better. DIY tips are MUCH cheaper!

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 14
At the end decided to go for the Meelectronics M6 plus Comply foam tips and when the latter are well fitted the bass comes out beautifully and I really enjoy these inexpensive IEMs.

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back