Please Help, Matrix M-stage DAC + Matrix M-Stage Amp + HD 650 good combo?
Aug 5, 2015 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Phorkz

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I will be purchasing a set of HD650's shortly. Have came across a great deal on a Matrix M DAC and Matrix M Amp combo, second hand, deal wont last long.

Would the mentioned combo be a good match?

My original plan was a Schiit Modi/Magni Uber stack, how would it compare?

Thanks.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Poor guy no one reply to you. Just get either of those DAC and buy a Darkvoice 336se tube amp. DV is $299 on eBay. Your HD650 will sound very good with it.

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 7
  Poor guy no one reply to you. Just get either of those DAC and buy a Darkvoice 336se tube amp. DV is $299 on eBay. Your HD650 will sound very good with it.

cheers mate after all this time haha.

Your advice has been noted, looking into the dark voice currently.

Any more input appreciated, though, sadly the Matrix has now sold.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm assuming you still have the HD650? and that you haven't got any dac and amp?

That being the case if you're on a budget which most of us are when starting out, I'd suggest the following:-

Either a Schitt Modi or odac

and the Darkvoice 336se

I also assume your source is Mac or PC in which case you'll connect as follows:-

Mac / PC > Modi or odac > Darkvoice 336se > HD650   and you'll enjoy beautiful warm lush music.

Stock Darkvoice 336se brand new will come with chinese tubes that are bad sounding.
No worries. Just go to eBay and buy RCA 6AS7G (power tube the big one behind) and Sylvania/RCA/GE/Tung Sol 6SN7GTB (driver tube the small one in front) These 2 tubes won't cost you much and will sound nice. Of course there are better tubes and can be expensive but I suggest those as a start. You will be very happy with the sound as I am now.

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 7
  I'm assuming you still have the HD650? and that you haven't got any dac and amp?

That being the case if you're on a budget which most of us are when starting out, I'd suggest the following:-

Either a Schitt Modi or odac

and the Darkvoice 336se

I also assume your source is Mac or PC in which case you'll connect as follows:-

Mac / PC > Modi or odac > Darkvoice 336se > HD650   and you'll enjoy beautiful warm lush music.

Stock Darkvoice 336se brand new will come with chinese tubes that are bad sounding.
No worries. Just go to eBay and buy RCA 6AS7G (power tube the big one behind) and Sylvania/RCA/GE/Tung Sol 6SN7GTB (driver tube the small one in front) These 2 tubes won't cost you much and will sound nice. Of course there are better tubes and can be expensive but I suggest those as a start. You will be very happy with the sound as I am now.

Yeah still have the 650's, thanks for your info. I will look into it.

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 7
http://www.head-fi.org/t/348833/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii/360

my setup is in there plus tube rolling options down the track if your interested. Page 25 onwards.

Good luck.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 7
Oh man... it's interesting that you posted this, because I have the HD-650 with the M-Stage stack (M-Stage amp and the standalone M-Stage DAC) myself. 

I actually didn't think it was a great pairing, to be honest. The HD-650 has a warmer, darker signature, and I felt the M-Stage stack had a warmer, darker signature, so it felt just a tiny bit too warm and overly rich for me. I think a more neutral stack would work better with the HD-650. 

But, I am actually considering selling the M-Stage stack, since I have something else coming in pretty soon. I know I just said it doesn't work that well with the HD-650, but if you're still interested, I can sell it to you. Just let me know and PM me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back