Please help - Looking for high-end portable amp.
Sep 8, 2005 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cdaman

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a high-end portable amp. Long battery life would be good but not mandatory. I have looked at the RS - SR-71 and the XP-7, AE-1, Porta Carda Prehead and the headroom Mcro Amp with the desktop module.

I am a neophyte and would really appreciate your help. I have about 1200. to spend. I will use it mostly with the UE-10 Pro and sometimes with the Sennheiser HD 650.

What is the best portable amp?

Sincerly,

Sep 8, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 15
"best" is subjective when it comes to comparing these products. they are all really good at a number of things. in addition to the headphones you'll be using, please let us know what type of music you listen to, how portable you want it to be (xp7 is much less portable than the sr-71, for example), etc.

i'll also throw in the yet-to-be-released hornet and the v.2 of the larocco pocket reference into the mix. i own the v.1 and it's as good as most large headphone amps i've owned.

Sep 8, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 15
The SM3 should be on your list for sure!

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 15
If you plan on using it with both UE 10Pro and HD650, I would suggest getting an amp with an adjustable gain switch. The reason being that the UE 10's need a low gain setting since they are so sensitive while the HD650's need a high gain setting.

I believe the HeadRoom Micro and Xin SuperMacro-3 offer outer gain switches. The soon to be released Ray Samuels The Hornet does as well. The Portaphile V2² has an internal gain switch.

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 15
I like all types of music, hard rock, pop, jazz, classical but my favorite (by far) is gospel music.

As gar as portibility goes - I want to listen to it on planes (occassionally) but would usually carry it arounf with me for daily listening. At night I would like to plug it into AC.

Will "the hornet" rock? When does it come out?

Do you have to take a course to assemble XIN sm3? Can someone tell me how to configure it?

Thank you for your help...

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdaman
Do you have to take a course to assemble XIN sm3? Can someone tell me how to configure it?

The SM3 comes ready to use.Just add batteries and check the adapter settings.Opamp rolling and all the other possible mods are entirely optional and can even be done by Xin for you. The amp that you get from Xin will have as standard what he believes is the best current configuration. I was a neophyte a few months ago-not at all handy and a bit clumsy- and I can now roll opamps in under 5 minutes. It really isn't difficult and it's great fun and suprisingly educative. Don't be intimidated and remember you will have a great amp even if you never open it other than to insert the batterries.

Sep 10, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdaman
I decided on the SM3. Thank you everybody for your help. I really do appreciate it. There are so many good amps to choose from.

Dwight Stirrett

congratulations. let us know how you like it.

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Rsa protector, its very balance and fit almost aLlkind of music. IMO,
Wanna suggestion? Trust your own ear. Wait for can jam at chicago, cause if u spent 1200 and its not satisfie you, its waist of money, so wait for it,
Sometimes the expensive amps is not the best one. Cause amps doesnt increase sq, its only make the sound different, its depends what kind of music u like, so dont go rush
Just wait for can jam and you will figure which one is best for u
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhone4G /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cause amps doesnt increase sq,
smily_headphones1.gif

Then why use amps at all? If you want to just make the sound different, use your EQ out of your DAP...
beyersmile.png

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided on the SM3. Thank you everybody for your help. I really do appreciate it. There are so many good amps to choose from.

Dwight Stirrett

Sorry to chime in after the fact you've already made up your mind. Feel free to do what's best for you.

I would suggest, however, regardless of what your source is that if you have $1,200 to burn, might as well get a high-end custom IEM, such as the JH13/JH16 Pro. You can use them with our without amps and the difference in overall SQ will be vastly bigger than getting any portable amp for your existing phones. Later on you can add an amp for further refinement and increased soundstage to the chain and you'll get more out of that investment with a high-end custom. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to chime in after the fact you've already made up your mind. Feel free to do what's best for you.

I would suggest, however, regardless of what your source is that if you have $1,200 to burn, might as well get a high-end custom IEM, such as the JH13/JH16 Pro. You can use them with our without amps and the difference in overall SQ will be vastly bigger than getting any portable amp for your existing phones. Later on you can add an amp for further refinement and increased soundstage to the chain and you'll get more out of that investment with a high-end custom. Just my 2 cents.

x2

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Is it just me, or has there an increase in the number of users who register fairly late (April 2010), post random / useless stuff to increase their post count, and then endorse products very fervently -- shill posts if you will?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back