Please help in answering a Noob questions.
Dec 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pfgray2008

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]Ok I’m exhaustively confused at this point with Computer audio could someone answer a few questions for a noob.  I’ve have in my possession a Musical Fidelity Musical Fidelity M1DAC-A and M1 HPA AMP along with Peachtree Decco2.  I’m not sure which one to purchase given price difference vs. usefulness $1600 and $600. But that’s not what I’m questioning at moment.  What I need help with is the following.[/size]

[size=medium]Does the Peachtree line of DACs such as Decco2 automatically up sample any signal to 24-bit, 96 kHz?  Since there is no interface on the front panel I have no idea if up sampling is occurring. [/size]

[size=medium]Which port offers a better signal path an Audio USB cable or Toshlink Cable? [/size]
[size=medium]It’s would seem Peachtree neglected to mention that their USB connection is limited to 16 Bit 44.kHz. But the toshlink is capable 96/192kHz? Does that even matter if signal is up sampled? [/size]

[size=medium]I’ve read that ITunes offers downloads of music files at 24/96kHz but I can’t seem to find that section on their site for this option.[/size][size=medium]Do major record labels today even offer a wide selection of 24bit High-res either through download or disc?[/size]

[size=medium]I’ve check all the online guides for computer audio setup but still confused about windows 7 configuration and Itunes does anyone have guide they and send me too. I’ve already used guide by Benchmark, The Well-Tempered Computer wavelenght,sweetwater.com[/size],

[size=medium]If a DAC upsamples 16 Bit CD to 96 kHz is there any noticeable difference and audio file that’s already sampled at 96kHz? Will the DAC recognize the file doesn’t need up sampling?[/size]

[size=medium]Does ITunes still have an issue playing various sample rates? I read somewhere that it only locks onto the first item played and the only way to play next song would be to close the program and reopen it is that correct? [/size]

[size=medium]What the correct setting for sample rates in the default format tab in Windows 7 Sound tab.  If I’m listening to Redbook quality 16/44.1 kHz music sample do I set the rate on my DAC to match it or do I change it to higher setting 24/96kHz or 24/192kHz?[/size]

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 8
You have to go into the midi controller to allow for 24bit/96khz files on iTunes.

iTunes does not sell 24/96 files to my knowledge.

I do not why you're so obsessed with upsampling.  It might even turn out to sound worse than the files at their native 16bits.  You will probably not notice the difference with true 24bit files anyways.  I know I don't.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 8

I'm just gonna answer the questions I know.
Quote:
[size=medium]Which port offers a better signal path an Audio USB cable or Toshlink Cable?[/size]
[size=medium]It’s would seem Peachtree neglected to mention that their USB connection is limited to 16 Bit 44.kHz. But the toslink is capable 96/192kHz? Does that even matter if signal is up sampled? [/size]

USB connection is limited to 16/44.1khz, are you sure? If so don't even bother getting it then, at the 1.6k price point you can get a Lavry DA11, Benchmark DAC1 or a Centrance DAC. As for connection wise, neither matters if jitter reduction is good on the DAC (which I think will be in the high end DAC range). But if I have to choose, I would pick USB (especially on Win7 computers) just a preference.

[size=medium]I’ve read that ITunes offers downloads of music files at 24/96kHz but I can’t seem to find that section on their site for this option.[/size][size=medium]Do major record labels today even offer a wide selection of 24bit High-res either through download or disc?[/size]

Not really, most music is still recorded in CDs very few labels are recorded in 24/96.

[size=medium]I’ve check all the online guides for computer audio setup but still confused about windows 7 configuration and Itunes does anyone have guide they and send me too. I’ve already used guide by Benchmark, The Well-Tempered Computer wavelenght,sweetwater.com[/size],

I suggest that windows 7 you use a alternative player, good ones are Jriver Media Center, Foobar, Media Monkey, Jplay(is that the name?). For Itunes you have to constantly set the sample rate via Quicktime if you are using it with files differing in bit depth.

[size=medium]If a DAC upsamples 16 Bit CD to 96 kHz is there any noticeable difference and audio file that’s already sampled at 96kHz? Will the DAC recognize the file doesn’t need up sampling?[/size]

Generally sampling is not limited to the DAC but more of the player, you can set a player(not Itunes) to play the track in its native resolution and sampling rate.

[size=medium]Does ITunes still have an issue playing various sample rates? I read somewhere that it only locks onto the first item played and the only way to play next song would be to close the program and reopen it is that correct?[/size]

As I said earlier, Itunes follows the audio settings set on Quicktime, so if you have the settings in 16/44.1 and have a file in 24/96, I assume(not sure) that it will play in that resolution. Which is why I suggest changing players.

[size=medium]What the correct setting for sample rates in the default format tab in Windows 7 Sound tab.  If I’m listening to Redbook quality 16/44.1 kHz music sample do I set the rate on my DAC to match it or do I change it to higher setting 24/96kHz or 24/192kHz?[/size]

[size=medium]Correct settings will usually just be 24/96 IMO, assuming you buy another player(I have to mention Jriver again, such a fantastic player) you set your dac to match the source sampling rate ( on other players you have the option of setting playback to follow the source). As for bit depth you may get more out of your DAC by setting it to 24 bits instead of the usual 16 bits for more dynamic range. Audible mileage may vary, though presenting a higher word length(bit depth) does not add distortion while upping sample rate will do so.[/size]

[size=medium]So if say your file is a regular 16/44.1khz file, you your player should present it to the DAC as 24/44.1khz.[/size]

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Your never get true 24bit anyway, equipment just isn't capable of 144db of dymanic range (signal to noise).

True, at least you get full Redbook levels(and a little higher) which should be fully transparent.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 8
[size=medium]Thank You for taking the time filling in the blanks it’s been confirmed Peachtree Decco2 does not support 24/96 through USB  What%$## they neglected to mention that anywhere on their website or in the manual. Needless to say I’m a little pissed at them.  I’m debating sending the Decco2 back but it was such a bargain plus optical does provide 24/96 for $600.00 not bad. But I’m wondering what you think.  As for the other product you recommended I had looked at Centrance DacminCX for $800 or the $1500 model before I got Peachtree & Musical Fidelity but now I’m considering the Benchmark DAC1USB plus they sell a refurbished unit $1000. Considering all the choices what would you choose for a beginner? [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back