Please help - full size cans wanted!
Nov 10, 2007 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

N0051215

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've recently purchased some Atrio M5's for portable use (after consulting this forum, naturally!) and I have to say I do like them - but I have not been 'wowed' by them. More than anything, I think this is due to the inherent lack of soundstage you get with IEMs. They also lack a bit of sparkle/ brightness. Anyway, that's just a bit of background - I now want to get myself a decent home set-up!

I would like a nice set of open cans and from initial reading on this site and others, I've so far narrowed things down to either the Senn HD650s or the BeyerDynamic DT990s - as I think I'll enjoy their 'warm' sound and I do like a bit of bass!

Although I can appreciate that both will require a good amp to get the full potential out of them, being relatively new to this, this is not something I have or can afford just now. So I'm probably going to opt for a decent little portable one for the time being - I know, there are probably going to be lots of you scoffing at this point........but one thing I read somewhere on this site that I thought made a huge amount of sense, was that any amplification (I was thinking particularly about a Tomahawk/ Hornet, from what I've read) will help improve the sound of these headphones. And as my 'ear' improves and I grow into this hobby, so too will my equipment - and therefore, my headphones!

I think what I'm looking for is a set of cans that will still sound good under not so great amp'ing (coz I may be new to Head-Fi, but I've done a fair bit of music production at uni and think my ear isn't too bad) and ones that I can stick with and will improve as my set-up does.

So, if anyone can recommend one of the above 'phones over the other - or even another set - it would be massively appreciated.

Also, as a beginner to amps in general - what do you think to my choices?? (I know they're not to an audiophile standard but then neither am I - yet!)

Many thanks

Gav

Users who are viewing this thread

Back