Please help! First step into Mid-Fi!
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aaron94

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so heres the basic run down, I bought my V-Moda LP2s mid november, 2012, and I have hardly listened to them since I grew away from dubstep. They sound awful with metal and rock music, so Im looking for a new pair of headphone to be used at my desk, on my laptop. They will be used in equal parts for both music and gaming, genres like metal, rock, and classic, but they will also be used for playing some FPSs on my laptop. 

So far I have looked at a few different pairs, but I have not made a decision because I keep coming across short comings from each pair. Thus far I have looked at the Sennheiser HD558, AKG K701/K702, and the Beyerdynamic DT880/770. 

Now up until recently I was set on the HD558, they seemed to be a perfect headphone for all around use, but lately Ive been hearing that they have a rather boring sound when listening to music, as well as something called the sennheiser veil which is a name given to their layed back sound. Up until recently I also wasnt even considering the K7** line because of how much I have heard about the treble spikes, but that was until I studied the frequency graphs and realized they are somewhat neutral except for the 5db treble spike, which I may actually enjoy. Same goes for the DT880, they have a rather large treble spike which may prove fatiguing.

Now the main problem right now is that I do not have an amp, but I will be getting a Schiit M&M stack somewhat soon, probably within the month. Another issue is that I would prefer not to spend more than $200, as the financing is coming straight out of my graduation gifts, which I am supposed to be saving.

So please help me out guys, I need some guidance and advice!

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 10
Hey Aaron94, two quick questions:

1)  Do you listen to speed metal?

2)  What is the one thing you absolutely feel is most lacking from your LP2?

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Hey Aaron94, two quick questions:

1)  Do you listen to speed metal?

2)  What is the one thing you absolutely feel is most lacking from your LP2?

Im not quite sure what you mean by speed metal, I listen to mainly Metallica, Korn, A7X and some others, so mainly thrash. 

the LP2s just have this sort of muffled sound when it comes to anything other than dubstep, they bass has far to much quantity, with not much quality. When listening to metal and rock I feel like theres a few layers of cloth or something between my ears and the drivers, compared to the sound I get from my X10s. It just doesnt sound good to me.

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Im not quite sure what you mean by speed metal, I listen to mainly Metallica, Korn, A7X and some others, so mainly thrash. 

Okay that's fine.  I just wanted to make sure you weren't listening to something that is particularly treble heavy.

Quote:
the LP2s just have this sort of muffled sound when it comes to anything other than dubstep, they bass has far to much quantity, with not much quality. When listening to metal and rock I feel like theres a few layers of cloth or something between my ears and the drivers, compared to the sound I get from my X10s. It just doesnt sound good to me.

Okay, cool.  Based on your answers, I would say go ahead and get the DT880.  They are brighter than normal, but unless you're treble-sensitive, you won't really mind it.  And judging by the specific way you dislike the LP2 (recessed mids/highs) - not to mention the degree to which dislike that (a lot) - the DT880 will be a breath of fresh air for you.

I would also not suggest the K70X at this time.  In addition to having a treble peak, it can also be somewhat dry, cold and analytical.  Unless that's a signature that you prefer (and not every does by a long shot), you probably won't "enjoy" it very much.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 10
I have another suggestion to throw out there. Get two headphones for the price of one:

Grado SR80i, a phenomenal headphone for hard rock and metal. To me, these are as good for those genres as any $200 headphone I have heard. Definitely not boring for rock music, and the bass is rolled off below 100hz, emphasizing the mids and highs in a delightful way. $100
http://www.head-fi.org/products/grado-sr80i-headphones/reviews

ATH-AD700, considered one of the best headphones for FPS gaming because of the phenomenal soundstage for positioning. typically <$100
http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-ad700/reviews

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 10
You need to pick up a set of Grado headphones. I'm not sure which model because a have almost no experience with Grados but I know that's the brand you want to buy from.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 10
I probably shouldnt have bumped this thread when I did.

When I made this thread I was still un-decided on what to get, but by the time anyone replied I had already ordered some HD558s.

Thank you guys for all the help, if I have the spare money in the future, and after I get my amp/DAC I will most likely purchase some DT880s to see what the hype is about.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 10
LOL, well I'm glad we could be of not much help at all! 
smile.gif
  Oh BTW, when the time comes, I believe the 250 Ohm version would be best.  Cheers!

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
smile.gif
  Oh BTW, when the time comes, I believe the 250 Ohm version would be best.  Cheers!

Thats most likely what I would get, the 250 Pro version, since they are the cheapest on amazon 
size]

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif

Thats most likely what I would get, the 250 Pro version, since they are the cheapest on amazon 
size]

Lucky you!  I'd get the 250 Ohm anyway, even if it wasn't the cheapest.. but since it is, SCORE! 
smile.gif

BTW, here's a nice breakdown of the different versions:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back