Please help find an alternative for Denon AH-D2000
Aug 24, 2016 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Skybij

New Head-Fier
My beloved Denon's AH-D2000 right side driver quit working few weeks ago. Im very much liking sound signature of these cans. People who are well familiar with Denon AH-D2000 sound signature and know some similar sounding headphones, please help me out.
Budget: $200 (Can go a bit higher if needed or get used pair)
Full size, semi-open or closed back headphones preferred but not a must
DAC/AMP combo: Audio GD NFB 11.32
What I like about AH-D2000: Very well controlled, extended, deep textured bass, no hint of boominess. Warm, detailed mid range with good separation. Very smooth and clear high range, no sibilance, shrill or [COLOR=404040]tinny characteristics. Overall, dynamic and smooth, musical headphones with emphasis on lower end but still balanced and detailed. Comfortable fit, premium build materials and all day listening without fatigue.[/COLOR]

How Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600 ohm is comparing to AH-D2000? Are highs are too bright and lows are lacking as some people say on this forum?

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 8
Measurements I've seen indicate that the DT880 is reasonably close to neutral, but has spiky highs and lacks bass extension. See if you can find the NAD Viso HP50 used, seems like it fits your desired sound signature perfectly.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 8
Man, I've listened to a ton of closed cans, and really nothing quite like the D2000, especially in that price range. They have such an expansive sound, being semi-open. 

If purchased on the cheap you may consider the Denon AH-D600, similar driver, actually more comfy, and typically cheaper than the D2000. From memory I think the D2000 is better, and more uniform where the D600 had a bit un-natural high-end and more bass. 

AKG K553 or K550 - both can be had for a great price. Check the differences.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 8
That's what most likely I would not like about DT800. I like high range to be smooth, without pronounced peaks. Can't stand sibilant or shrill. I like some sparkle in high end only when it is tamed, rich and smooth. I listen to various genres but big chunk of my music is edm and endless flavors of electronica, so I need very controller, dynamic bass. Not overpowering but with impact and texture. That what always impressed me about AH-D2000. They could effortlessly go very low while staying dynamic and controlled. I'm not basshead, I can't sand too exaggerated, boomy, overpowering bass.

NAD Viso HP50 got on my radar today but there are few things that concern me. First, I heard that this cans are more on portable smaller side and flimsy feeling. I prefer full sized headphones with my ears comfortably siting inside cups. Second, I found comparison of HP50 with AKG K550 here. That review got me thinking how HP50 would stack up against AKG K553 pro, which supposedly is improved version of K550. Then there is that RoomFeel feature on HP50 I'm skeptical about. I don't trust to any kind of "special" tuning because usually marketing employs such features for cheaper, inferior products. I could be totally wrong though. I never had any experience with NAD brand. If anyone had experience with either of these cans, please chime in. I heard some people complaining about fit too.

Another headphones I found today are ATH-A990z and ATH-A900X. Can someone please comment on whether they would mach to sound profile described above.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 8
  Man, I've listened to a ton of closed cans, and really nothing quite like the D2000, especially in that price range. They have such an expansive sound, being semi-open. 

If purchased on the cheap you may consider the Denon AH-D600, similar driver, actually more comfy, and typically cheaper than the D2000. From memory I think the D2000 is better, and more uniform where the D600 had a bit un-natural high-end and more bass. 

AKG K553 or K550 - both can be had for a great price. Check the differences.

Yeah D2000 were pretty great while they lasted. I found two clones on Massdrop today. Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 and E-MU Teak both priced way out of my budget
frown.gif
. Not sure if they use same drivers but outside looks very much like old Denon AH-DXXX series. As well they got AKG K553 pro for $120, very tempting.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 8
I need a new pair of headphones now and I can't go over my budget too much. Seven years ago I bought my D2000 for $235 brand new and today I can only get used pair for $300. Well, if there no close alternative, then it's time to move to something new. I bet, some great cans should have appeared on the marked, in this price range since 2009. I'm open for any suggestions which somewhat fit my preferences. What is consensus for ATH-A990z? 

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 8
  I need a new pair of headphones now and I can't go over my budget too much. Seven years ago I bought my D2000 for $235 brand new and today I can only get used pair for $300. Well, if there no close alternative, then it's time to move to something new. I bet, some great cans should have appeared on the marked, in this price range since 2009. I'm open for any suggestions which somewhat fit my preferences. What is consensus for ATH-A990z? 

Check out massdrop.com.

The TH-X00 is very close to the D2000. Not familiar with the ATH-A990z.

You can also look for used Denon D-series and Fostex TH600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back