PLEASE HELP: EMU 1212 CARD: DO I TRASH IT?
Dec 14, 2006 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cris.rodrigo

New Head-Fier
Greetings all,

My friend gave me his 1212 but I don't know how to use this card with the outputs. I currently have an audigy card with a 5.1 set up. However I don't think I can connect my 5.1 to the outputs alone. My friend said I would probably need an amp or something going from the analog line out?? I don't know much about this stuff. If I can't use it, I suppose I'll sell it here.

What configurations are possible with the 1212 considering that I have a 5.1 set up and no amp? Is the sound improvement worth investing money? I don't have an amp and I don't think I can hook up my current speakers to it.

I'll start searching the forums for answers but i would greatly appreciate any immediate insight. Thank you guys and happy holidays!

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 11
You can't get 5.1 sound with the 1212M, it is a stereo card. If you want to listen to high end audio then it is your best bet;you just need some 1/4inch mono plugs to RCA to use it with an external amp. If you need 5.1 you should sell the EMU and get an X-fi

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks Juz for the help. I really appreciate it. Now, I'm on the look out for a decent cheap amp, if that's possible. I didn't want to spend money, but I really want to know what the card sounds like. Thanks again!

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 11
You don't need an amp to hear what the card sounds like. What kind of speakers do you have? (so i can recommend the correct cabling)

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 11
In my opinion, bookshelf speakers would be pretty well suited for the EMU, probably better suited than computer speakers. I use a pair of 1/4-inch (plugged into the analog outputs) to RCA (on the speaker side) cables, but the specific cables needed depends on the inputs on the speakers.

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 11
You should get the insignia amp and speakers, probably run you around $100. Get 1/4inch mono plugs, plug the rca cables into there and plug the other end into the amp.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Erm.. Give em to me?
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 11
holy crap, a friend gives you a $200 sound card. thats a good friend. and you want to throw it away.

it probably sounds better than the audigy by a few miles.
it is a favorite for headfiers, but it is a professional recording soundcard.

if you are going to use a bookshelves they suggest above then you definitely need a speaker amplifiers.

the logitech has its own power source just you just need to find a way to connect it to the sound card.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should get the insignia amp and speakers, probably run you around $100. Get 1/4inch mono plugs, plug the rca cables into there and plug the other end into the amp.

x2

IMO, this will undoubtedly sound much better than those logictech 5.1s.

Although, unless you buy used you won't get everything for $100. I got my Insignia 2 ch. receiver/amp (used) off of ebay for $45 shipped. The Insignia speakers were $40. I think this sounds better than my buddies Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1s. If you like a lot of bass you might not be happy with this setup, though. The Insignias have prominent midbass, but they definately won't move earth.

*edit* I've tried this with the E-MU 1212m. It sounds much better than it does from my AC97' onboard sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back