Please help diagnose what is wrong with my turntable !
Feb 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

OGTL

500+ Head-Fier
I've got an Audio Technica ATLP60. Ever since I've had it, on every amp i've tried it with, (also trying to use a TC-750 preamp) it gives me this horrendous problem.

It sounds good at a low volume, but when I try to increase the volume on my reciever to listening level, I carefully watch the cones on my speakers and the turntable is putting out some really strong low frequency bass: I can't hear it but my speakers nearly self destruct with the cone wobbling back and forth at a fast rate until my instant reaction puts the volume all the way down again. It has no available ground without opening it up.

Anyone? I appreciate anyone who reads this anyhow, cheers. Wish I could listen to my LPs!

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 3
It could be inherent rumble in the turntable or motor noise being transferred to the cartridge/arm combination.  Another thought:  Is your turntable directly in the soundfield of your speakers?  If so the cartridge could be excited by the speaker sound and feeding that energy back to the amp and speakers.

Good luck isolating the problem.  Hope this gives you a place to start.

Rich

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 3
It's most likely low frenquency rumble. It can be caused by a variety of things, but poor turntable isolation is the most likely culprit. It's a common problem and many phono stages include "rumble filters" to remedy just this problem. Whenever there is a problem like this by the way, the better sites and forums to go to are vinylengine.com and audioasylum's vinyl forum. It could also be due to a grounding problem or a mismatch of cartridge to tonearm. It could be that your cartridge is not hooked up the cartridge wires correctly (mixing pins and wires). The folks on vinylengine in paricular are real friendly and eager to help.
So, for now, determine if you have a rumble filter and if so, activate it. If not, try to relocate your turntable to a sturdier location. Wall shelfs (shelfs that mount to the wall studs or with drywall mollys) offer better isolation than floor standing audio racks. If still no help, go to the above referenced sites and someone will list all the possible causes and remedies, I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back