Please help decide which Ear Phones would be best for me.
Mar 26, 2007 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

BadFish81

Head-Fier
Alright, I'm getting desperate now.

I'm new to these forums, but I've been reading through tons of other threads, and I've seen some really good advice thrown out there, and I'm hoping I can get some.

I've spent hours pouring over reviews, suggestions, comparisons, price-ranges, etc. I keep going around in circles, following dead trails... I need a break. Now I'm just hoping that someone with more knowledge can save me.

About my listening tastes and what I'm looking for. Basically, I love music, I have over 5,000 lossless mp3's on my computer ranging all music genres. What I need is a good set of earphones to go with my Zen MP3 player, that I can listen to my music while commuting to classes in San Francisco. I ride a subway for a half hour, and usually walk for about a half hour through the city streets to my class after that. Or spend hours at a computer trying to concentrate on my work.

Because of all that, I need a good pare of sound-isolating earphones, that I could wear comfortably for extended periods, that have the best quality sound for under $100 (College Student Budget.)

I originally had it narrowed down to the following:

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
Sennheiser CX300-B
Etymotic Research ER6i
Westone UM-1
Shure E2c-n
V-MODA Vibe

I was originally torn between the ER6i's and the Super.fi 3's. UM-1 is a new discovery for me, and I'll admit is a bit pricier than I'd like, but if it completely blows the others out of the water, I will submit.

I listen to a wide variety of music, I do enjoy bass, though more of the twanging guitar version than the thumping beat. I generally listen to Alternative and Classic rock with some techno beats mixed in when commuting, and end up with more relaxing Enya/Dido/Pink Floyd when working on the computer.

Comfort is also pretty important since It's common for me to work on a public computer for 4-5 hours. The cheap $40 Sony's I used to have were pretty horrible in that after an hour of listening, I felt like I had to yank them out of my ear for relief.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice/suggestions/experiences!

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 31
I have -- and like -- Etymotics ER6i's. But I think you might also be a candidate for the UM1's. The Ety's might take more getting used to, and the detailed sound might be brighter and thinner than you might expext. The Westones would be comfortable with foam ear tips, and you might find the Westone sound signature less fatiguing for long listening sessions.

Either the Ety's or the Westones would make your BART ride more pleasant every day through their isolation and low-profile fit.

Less isolating (but still snug-fitting, for a degree of isolation) would be the Sennheisers you mention or the similar but more affordable Creative EP630 ("Y" cord configuration instead of having cords of unequal length, as the Sennheisers do).

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 31
Thanks, I also slightly considered the EP630, since I keep hearing how great it is for the price. They just remind me too much of the cheap earbuds I've been burning through over the last year.

Have you tried the Um1's yourself in comparison to the ER6i's? Would it merit an extra $30 invested? I keep hearing mixed reviews about the UM1's, mainly praising it's comfort and design while also admitting that it has poorer sound quality and bass.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 31
I have the Etys but haven't heard the Westone UM1s ... just going by the large volume of Head-Fi posts comparing/contrasting the two. I'm not going to push my choice on someone solely because it was my choice ...

Again, I like the Etys and the fit/seal I get with short Complys ... but they might be an acquired taste for some people (it took me awhile ... I like them for use on noisy airplanes). The Westones might seem like a "safer" "everyday" investment in that the bright, clean Ety sound may or may not appeal to you. The bass is there in the Etys, but you hear it, not feel it ... "modern," "hot" recordings and remasters do sound pretty good with the Etys (ex., electronica, R&B) ... where the bass sounds relatively lean to me is on the many oldies and non-remastered songs I listen to. I've always thought the Etys had a greater upside for the first-time IEM buyer, but that they could also disappoint (if that makes sense to you).

Something like the Sennheisers or Creatives would isolate a little bit, but would be easier for many first-time users to get used to. I don't know whether they would do justice to lossless, though ...

I find the Etys with short Complys very comfortable ... if the Westones are more comfortable, wow (I believe the Westones come with a few pairs of Complys ... probably regulars). Amortized over the usage "lifetime" of the earphones, the extra $30 wouldn't seem like that much, *if* you can afford it up front. The Etys are a very good value, though, in my opinion (I got mine at around $89 -$90 online ... I got the black ones ... they also come in "steal me" white, as well).

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 31
1 vote for some vibes!
btw...just to let you know...there is a difference between sound isolation and sound cancelation. the IEMs(In Ear Monitors) you are talking about use sound isolation

Best of Luck on your search
smily_headphones1.gif

you are going to love headphones...beware of your wallet!

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Netminder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 vote for some vibes!
btw...just to let you know...there is a difference between sound isolation and sound cancelation. the IEMs(In Ear Monitors) you are talking about use sound isolation

Best of Luck on your search
smily_headphones1.gif

you are going to love headphones...beware of your wallet!

Ah yes, I think I just got jumbled from all my research. I'm not too interested in "Sound Cancellation." Though I've never tried one out, the added price and having to tote around batteries doesn't appeal to me. I'd also imagine that having a contrasting white noise, even if it's imperceptible, would have to degrade the music quality somehow.

Plus, I like to think that I could at least pick up a little of the outside noise around me, in case there is a mack truck blaring it's horns at me.
eek.gif

The V-Moda's Vibe's that you mention also seem like a very possible option. I hadn't come across those before. I'll have to add those to my list, and do yet more research.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 31
Ugh, looked into the V-Moda earphones and also discovered the Bose In-Ear Headphones and Audio Technica Clip-On earbud hybrids. It's neverending isn't it?

Still, I think I'm pretty much narrowed down to these four:

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
Etymotic Research ER6i
Westone UM1
V-MODA Vibe

The first two seem to continually come up as the best in their price-range. The UM1's are harder to find good information on, but are supposedly the most comfortable around, with the Vibe being a newer contender that I haven't heard anything bad about... and I'm a sucker for the sexy look.

If anyone can offer any suggestions/recommendations between those three, and put me out of my misery, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadFish81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically, I love music, I have over 5,000 lossless mp3's on my computer ranging all music genres. ...

Lol, got oxymoron?

I would recoment the UM1 for rock, the mids are pretty sweet.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, got oxymoron?

I would recoment the UM1 for rock, the mids are pretty sweet.

So their .wma's my mistake, I have a habit of calling all digital recordings mp3's.
wink.gif

Thanks for the recommendation.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 31
Just buy something and try it. You will most likely NOT be satisfied with your first pair of headphones (and maybe even the 10th set), so DON'T stress so much. Most can be resold if looked after well.

Just DUU it. Shure FTW.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just buy something and try it. You will most likely NOT be satisfied with your first pair of headphones (and maybe even the 10th set), so DON'T stress so much. Most can be resold if looked after well.

Just DUU it. Shure FTW.

I was trying to skip the buying of 10 sets to find the one perfect one by getting some advice.
tongue.gif

I have a habit of researching the hell out of anything before I buy it, putting my own computer together from scratch was a 2 month long event.

Mostly, I just don't have the money to spend on multiple ear phones right now, I just want one nice set that I can be satisfied with, that will do music justice, and keep me happy commuting for the rest of the time I'm in school at least.

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 31
Alright, I think I've almost come up with a decision. I'd really love to just settle on something tonight so I can get some sleep. I lost my old, crap earbuds a couple weeks ago, and I can't live without music during my daily routine for much longer.

After browsing through the last 15 pages of this forum, first, I feel guilty for adding yet another, "Help me decide which entry level IEM to pick" thread, but I've narrowed it down more.

I'm pretty much decided on either the UM1's which come very highly recommended over and over again. My hesitation is with people saying the bass is lacking, I want to make sure I can hear Flea's twanging bass lines. And their sort of on the ugly side.

The other major contender is the Vibes, which look amazing, and apparently sound amazing. After reading this review on these forums, where the poster actually says that they sound better than his UM2's. The thing that is holding me back from these, is mainly that I don't see them recommended anywhere NEAR as much as the Westone's, and they aren't as sound isolating as I may like.

If anyone can give any additional feedback on those two main concerns, I'd love to hear it.

I'm still slightly hanging onto the Ety Er6i's

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #14 of 31
It depends, is isolation important for you? I have heard some Chili Peppers on the vibes, and I was pretty impressed. But if Isolation and comfort are important, the UM1s are the way to go.

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends, is isolation important for you? I have heard some Chili Peppers on the vibes, and I was pretty impressed. But if Isolation and comfort are important, the UM1s are the way to go.

Well, I'm pretty lenient on all accounts. I do commute on the BART (Subway), and work in a noisy areas where I need to concentrate on my work, or want to walk through city streets without distraction. But I'm not completely adverse to hearing slight noises in the background, it's probably safer actually.

Isolation and Comfort are important, but Sound Quality is most important.

I guess my priorities would go something like this.

1. Sound Quality (Across the spectrum)
2. Comfort (Being able to wear for 4+ hours)
3. Isolation (Would like to cut out about 90% of outside noise)
4. Style (Don't want to look like a complete jackass wearing them)

Hearing that... would you suggest UM1's, Vibe's or Ety's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back