Please help! Closed alternative to 80's!
Oct 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MrSingapore

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! First, thanks for reading yet another post of its kind. I know there are a million, believe me, I've read most of them!... so much so that my head is spinning.
I just need a few safe, quality alternatives to some Grado 80's. I'll be using them in public spaces primarily, and as much as I love the 80's, I can't convince myself that they would be a wise (or appropriate) choice.

M50's, Dj100's, CAL!'s, 440's, etc... I've read so much. Can someone weigh in and help me distill all of this down into some meaningful packets. There's a lot to consider and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Thank you, again and again.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 5
It would help if we know what you actually want...?

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 5
you could order flat pads from todd the vinyl junkie. I've used my SR-60 w/flats on the go and the flats worked well in terms. sound leakage wasn't really an issue to my surprise. Could play music at my normal listening level in the middle of an airport seating section at the gate without disturbing anyone.You really need to just go to some stores and listen to the headphones out there. But always keep in mind that the store demo displays mask the real sound. You can get an idea of how they present music, but the frequency response won't be accurate on store equipment-even if you plug your own source into it. I would recommend you try a Yamaha pro 400 or AKG 550. Senn hd280 was pretty good too. There really isn't a sort of closed grado out there. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for this response! I actually just pulled the trigger on some PSB M4U1's, though I'm definitely still craving some Grados. I'll keep the flats in mind when I inevitably invest in a pair. Thanks!

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 5
you could order flat pads from todd the vinyl junkie. I've used my SR-60 w/flats on the go and the flats worked well in terms. sound leakage wasn't really an issue to my surprise. Could play music at my normal listening level in the middle of an airport seating section at the gate without disturbing anyone.

Yeah, but don't you hear all the airport noise, too? There's no isolation with Grados.

Not saying that you can't be fine with that, but talking about sound leakage is only half the picture there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back