Please, help choosing headphones under 100$!
Oct 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fest

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! First of all, thanks in advance for your time and sorry for the long post lol

I'm here to get some advice before buying my new headphones, I'm not sure which ones would be the best option for me. Budget: 100$ (not more).

Currently I have the Genius Lychas HS-G550 that my brother bought some months ago, but to be honest I'm getting a bit sick of them. I'm okay with their sound quality (not awesome, but enough until now), but I find them really uncomfortable in long-term use, the headband starts hurting your head after a couple of hours wearing them, and also I wish to try better sound quality. Sooo I was thinking about getting more quality in general.

The problem is that I'm not sure how much should I spend considering the use I'll give to them. I know that many of you will say that it depends on my budget or on how much quality I want (and you are right), but try to think in the use that a standard user will give them. I would use them for watching shows/movies, music and occasional gaming, and want to get better sound quality and comfort that the current ones I have.

After doing some research, I've been thinking about making my choice between the most popular headphones under 100$ (e.g. Sennheiser HD 449, Shure SRH440, KRK KNS6400, etc) which are between 80-100$, and for now I would go for those Sennheiser HD 449 since they seem to be the most comfortable, and taking into account that long-term comfort (6-8 hours listening to music, or at least without taking off my headphones) is my main problem at the moment (also they are pretty lightweight), but I'm not sure if I'm spending more than I probably should.

I have a DJ friend who told me that I was, considering the use I would give to them, and he recommended me the Superlux HD662, the Samson SR850 or some headphones in their range, which are significantly cheaper than the ones I mentioned above. Do you think he's right? Do you think that I'll notice the difference between the current headphones I have, and those he recommended me? They are in the same price range.

Noteworthy that:
-I prefer circumaural headphones, don't really care if open-back or closed-back
-I listen to a 'wide' range of genres (e.g. I can easily switch from heavy metal to classical music, and then to indie pop), so I was thinking that a balanced (in highs, mids, bass, etc) headphones would be better.

Guide me a bit through this purchase, please!

Thank you all, and sorry if my English is bad >.<

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 11
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Among the "best" easy to drive cans in your price range for all around use are the closed CAL! and MDR 7506.  Of course closed cans, especially in this price range are not going to deliver a very large or deep sound stage, which is what you want for movies and gaming.

At $100 and less you can't have everything, but you can get some some good cans that meet most of your needs/desires--at least for now.

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 11
-No amp, I'll have them connected to my PC.
-What do you mean by 'sound signature'? Sorry.
-I don't plan to use them outside home.

I know that I won't get anything awesome with just 100$ if we take into account other great and expensive headphones, but I assume that I should notice some improvement if I switch from my current ~25$ Genius headphones to any between 80$-100$ of a reliable brand (Sennheiser, Sony, Koss, Audio Technica, etc), shouldn't I?. As I said, think about me as an standard user that has always used cheap headphones. The current ones are the most expensive headphones I've ever had, so it's not as if I'm going to be too much exigent (for now). That's why I was doubting about spending 100$. I was wondering if it was going to be worth.

About comfort, you're right, unfortunately... I guess that it depends on oneself. As I said, I was thinking of getting those Sennheiser HD449 because I've read some reviews and their comfort are always highlighted.

Thank you for your reply! I'll take into account those you've recommended.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 11
Sound signature is how the headphones reproduce what is fed into them.  Neutral sound signature means what comes in closely matches what comes out of the cans.  Bass heavily, bright (enhanced treble) and mid-centric sound signatures--as well as others--also are available.

There is a giant difference between a good-for-its-class $25 can and one in the $80 to $100 class--even if you are just listening to merely OK MP3's.

I'll stick with the two I recommended. especially without an amp.  The Kirk, Shure and probably the Senn are OK too--but below the CAL! and Sony for me.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 11
well i have to disagree with the guy above me, the senns are probably the best bet for you since you listen to a ton of different music, they will do almost everything for you, they are great for movies and are pretty good i would say for gaming (not sure if you plan on getting a pair with a mic though, but if so they will be good) i highly recommend these, but please give them some time to break in after    buying them

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 11
  Sound signature is how the headphones reproduce what is fed into them.  Neutral sound signature means what comes in closely matches what comes out of the cans.  Bass heavily, bright (enhanced treble) and mid-centric sound signatures--as well as others--also are available.

There is a giant difference between a good-for-its-class $25 can and one in the $80 to $100 class--even if you are just listening to merely OK MP3's.

I'll stick with the two I recommended. especially without an amp.  The Kirk, Shure and probably the Senn are OK too--but below the CAL! and Sony for me.

Then honestly I don't know what to say about the sound signature lol Since I listen to a wide range of genres, should I go for some neutral, maybe?
Also thank you again, I'll keep in mind those you've mentioned 
smile.gif

well i have to disagree with the guy above me, the senns are probably the best bet for you since you listen to a ton of different music, they will do almost everything for you, they are great for movies and are pretty good i would say for gaming (not sure if you plan on getting a pair with a mic though, but if so they will be good) i highly recommend these, but please give them some time to break in after    buying them

That's another reason why I was thinking at first about the Senns. As you said, I read they are quite 'neutral'.

Maybe KG Jag can give us a little explanation why he thinks I would do better with the the CAL! / Sony, I would appreciate it.

Thank you two for your help 
smile.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 11
The Sony's are very neutral studio headphones.

The CAL!, while not technically neutral, provide a natural, complete and rich sound that punches above their price class.  They are just flat good and musical.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Hello,

Not sure about the HD449 but the HD439 is very comfortable to me and done almost all genre of music right!

+1 for Senns :D there is also the MA-300 which I think it sound superior for the price!

Hope it helps,
Billson :)

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Thank you all, I'll take into account your recommendations and opinions before buying 
smile.gif
 Since I'm going to make my purchase in a couple of months I still have some time to do decide and to do some more research, so I'll probably post again then.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back