Please Help. Can't decide.
Jul 24, 2017 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Deveraux

Head-Fier
I'm currently using Apple earpods with my phone (S7 Edge with Exynos) and MBP and with the phone and Viper4Android, it sounds really good to me. But you know, we are always left for wanting more. I feel the bass in the earpods is a little bloated although there is a lot of it (both sub and mid bass). When I use it with any other source without V4A installed in it, I don't like it much.

So I thought of getting a better one for around 50-100$. To start off with, I like quality bass in my music, in fact a lot of it. But not at the cost of mids and highs. Almost everything I checked (online reviews) had less bass and good treble or good bass or less clarity.

After reading and searching for a lot of days, I came to the conclusion that Sony XB75AP will be the best for me. Since the XB50 and XB70 are some of the highest rated earphones on Amazon (.in and .com) and pretty much every online store, I decided to go for it.

When I got this thing, I was so really disappointed. There was so less bass contrary to what the company claims and the mids and highs were really harsh (compared to my Earpods which produced really decent and smooth mids and highs with V4A). I was able to increase the bass with the help of EQ, but no amount EQ tinkering could solve the sibilance issue.

I guess I'm really sensitive to sibilance, but this thing produces the kind of harsh noise that really cheap speakers and headphones produce. Even after a lot of tweaking the EQ, it sounds only a little better than my cheap Earpods (that too only on the bass terms - slightly better clarity on the bass). Sibilance of instruments mostly.
If I cut down the sibilance with an EQ, the entire highs and mids get affected. They sound muddy and tinny. Please don't confused as I want toned down highs. I like very clear highs but with no sibilance.

Also, last year, I've bought the KZ ED9 which is highly praised here by Head-fiers and I was disappointed with it as well. There was no bass and clarity was at the cost of sibilance and my Earpods with V4A actually sounded more hi-fi. It felt more high end.

What should I do? I've a few days remaining to return the XB75AP and even then I'll lose 15% of the price (stupid return policies).

tl;dr: Please suggest an earphone under 100$ that has little to no sibilance but with amazing clarity.

NOTE: Please don't suggest me to get another pair of earpods as I really want something better.

I'm sorry for my immature language, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to convey.

Or should I get a headphone?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 17
Sounds like you are a basshead, and as such should be looking for iems with that categorization. That being said the negative from pretty much every bass head iem is that the upper bass emphasis usually impinges upon mids and makes them less clear. Or as you have noticed the manufacturer tunes to a u or v shape response that lifts highs to cut through the mud which usually lends to sibilance.

I hate sibilance and have fought that for years, yet I do like bass but not unduly boosted bass just bass that can be heard well at lower volume levels. I suggest you look at vsonics, audio technica, jvc as good brand candidates that lean in your direction. My favorite at the moment for a host of reasons is the RHA MA-350. A design that is light, comfy, and sounds great with no sibilance. And best of all it is under $21 atm.

Good luck with your journey.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 17
Sounds like you are a basshead, and as such should be looking for iems with that categorization. That being said the negative from pretty much every bass head iem is that the upper bass emphasis usually impinges upon mids and makes them less clear. Or as you have noticed the manufacturer tunes to a u or v shape response that lifts highs to cut through the mud which usually lends to sibilance.

I hate sibilance and have fought that for years, yet I do like bass but not unduly boosted bass just bass that can be heard well at lower volume levels. I suggest you look at vsonics, audio technica, jvc as good brand candidates that lean in your direction. My favorite at the moment for a host of reasons is the RHA MA-350. A design that is light, comfy, and sounds great with no sibilance. And best of all it is under $21 atm.

Good luck with your journey.

Yes, I'm a basshead. It's the reason I got the XB75AP instead of anything else.

But I really can't stand sibilance. I need good clarity/resolution too. I think I can trade a little bass for clarity.

Any suggestions for something that doesn't lack bass too much but offer much better clarity than, say, Earpods?

The MA-350 seems good but I'd like something a little more better?

Or do you suggest getting a headphone for this price? Will they sound better? I've an XB-450 and while they sound good, they have really low volumes and the voices and bass cracks when I increase it to reasonable levels.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 17
Asking for clear highs with no sibilance and present, controlled, and extended bass under 100$ is unreasonable. Even at the 200 dollar range, the details still have some grain, and are often peaky. My best recommendation would be the Fidelio X2, but they're well outside your price range.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Yes, I'm a basshead. It's the reason I got the XB75AP instead of anything else.

But I really can't stand sibilance. I need good clarity/resolution too. I think I can trade a little bass for clarity.

Any suggestions for something that doesn't lack bass too much but offer much better clarity than, say, Earpods?

The MA-350 seems good but I'd like something a little more better?

Or do you suggest getting a headphone for this price? Will they sound better? I've an XB-450 and while they sound good, they have really low volumes and the voices and bass cracks when I increase it to reasonable levels.

Never heard the xb-450s but remember the hype on the Sony MH1Cs years back. Basshead's dream but my gosh the mids and highs were crap.

FYI Sibilance is right above the presence zone at roughly 4-7khz so clarity will naturally be a bit less there if sibilance is throughly in check.

My own journey through iems has gone from dirt cheap to top of the line Shure at the time 530? I have had about 25 iems or so. Happy with the RHA not only for price but fit and comfort. Beside most of my listening is done while walking. A good starting point for getting a handle on iems is LJokers comprehensive list. This guy has done a great job. Read away: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 17
You might read about the 1More Triple Driver and see what you think. It has solid bass and no real sibilance or stridence. It is not really a basshead can, but the bass is solid. Worth a look to see if it might work for you. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 17
Asking for clear highs with no sibilance and present, controlled, and extended bass under 100$ is unreasonable. Even at the 200 dollar range, the details still have some grain, and are often peaky. My best recommendation would be the Fidelio X2, but they're well outside your price range.
I know I'm asking for too much. But hey, if those "crappy Apple Earpods" can sound nice with the V4A settings (with the auditory system protection enabled), why not something like that that doesn't need require so much of tweaking that costs 3x the price? I really don't understand. :frowning2:

Never heard the xb-450s but remember the hype on the Sony MH1Cs years back. Basshead's dream but my gosh the mids and highs were crap.

FYI Sibilance is right above the presence zone at roughly 4-7khz so clarity will naturally be a bit less there if sibilance is throughly in check.

My own journey through iems has gone from dirt cheap to top of the line Shure at the time 530? I have had about 25 iems or so. Happy with the RHA not only for price but fit and comfort. Beside most of my listening is done while walking. A good starting point for getting a handle on iems is LJokers comprehensive list. This guy has done a great job. Read away: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

I can manage sibilance if the clarity is so good. The thing is, the XB75AP produces harsh sibilance without clear sound.

How is the Shure SE215? Sibilance and bass? Or 1MORE triple driver?

You might read about the 1More Triple Driver and see what you think. It has solid bass and no real sibilance or stridence. It is not really a basshead can, but the bass is solid. Worth a look to see if it might work for you. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Yeah I was about to ask that. How good is the Triple driver? There's it on eBay for 79$ shipped. Most of the people wrote it has no real sibilance but I came across one person here who said it had sibilance and he preferred some other model over this (can't remember).
And Shure SE215?

Also, I'm looking at ZERO DX220. There seems to be not much information available about these but whoever tried them praises it. 60$ shipped.

Or do you guys suggest a full size headphone over an earphone? Will they be better? I tried my XB450 yesterday and my ears got warm and uncomfortable after 10-15 minutes which is not something I want.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 17
Never heard the Shure 215 but did hear the 210 years ago, bassy and boring. I have not heard the 1 more but a friend whose ears I trust bought it after hearing at rmaf.

As for Zero, the build on my Carbo Tenore was poor and the sound was as well, no bass to speak of but folks went gaga over it. Go figure. Never heard the Zero you reference.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 17
If you think the Apple's have clear and detailed highs, we may have different standards, EQ or no. If you're comfortable with EQ, though, used Beats Solo HD 2 (non-ironically, also Apple) might be okay. I see them go for 80 to 100 on ebay. The bass is overly slammy, and kind of loose, but with EQ it can be tamed and bring the presentation back into some form of equilibrium.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 17
Never heard the Shure 215 but did hear the 210 years ago, bassy and boring. I have not heard the 1 more but a friend whose ears I trust bought it after hearing at rmaf.

As for Zero, the build on my Carbo Tenore was poor and the sound was as well, no bass to speak of but folks went gaga over it. Go figure. Never heard the Zero you reference.

The DX220 is an updated Tenore I think.

So 1MORE would be the best option right?

If you think the Apple's have clear and detailed highs, we may have different standards, EQ or no. If you're comfortable with EQ, though, used Beats Solo HD 2 (non-ironically, also Apple) might be okay. I see them go for 80 to 100 on ebay. The bass is overly slammy, and kind of loose, but with EQ it can be tamed and bring the presentation back into some form of equilibrium.

I certainly do have different standards on sound quality. I hated the KZ ED9 which is acclaimed by all audiophiles here. It had too much of sibilance with only the clarity levels of my Earpods (with EQ). I once heard on a Bose Soundtrue On Ear headphones and I was kinda surprised how cheap it sounded. My Sony XB450 sounded much much better which is only a fraction of its price. Though it was extremely comfortable.

eq.jpeg

This is how my EQ with Earpods and MBP looks like. With this setup there's a little cheapo sibilance hearable but still manageable. With my phone and V4A even that is fixed and the sound is more airy (with field surround).

My Earpods broke a couple of days ago and I'm seriously considering getting another pair of it. It's kind of sad I can't get what I want at my budget.

I'm also considering the 1MORE triple drivers.

I can get the Shure SE215 but not sure if it's worth for the price.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 17
The DX220 is an updated Tenore I think.

So 1MORE would be the best option right?

I certainly do have different standards on sound quality. I hated the KZ ED9 which is acclaimed by all audiophiles here. It had too much of sibilance with only the clarity levels of my Earpods (with EQ). I once heard on a Bose Soundtrue On Ear headphones and I was kinda surprised how cheap it sounded. My Sony XB450 sounded much much better which is only a fraction of its price. Though it was extremely comfortable.

This is how my EQ with Earpods and MBP looks like. With this setup there's a little cheapo sibilance hearable but still manageable. With my phone and V4A even that is fixed and the sound is more airy (with field surround).

My Earpods broke a couple of days ago and I'm seriously considering getting another pair of it. It's kind of sad I can't get what I want at my budget.

I'm also considering the 1MORE triple drivers.

I can get the Shure SE215 but not sure if it's worth for the price.
I found the Shure 535 to be pretty solid, but I do have issues with occasional peaks in the treble. To be honest, you may want to get some more listening experience in at a show or meet. I know few people who extol the virtues of Bose sound reproduction, and probably to my own ignorance, never heard of the KZ ED9. But I don't know of many, if any at all, audiophiles who claim that a particular headphone is universally amazing, so much as headphones that suit their own tastes. Even the HD800's don't have universal love, despite the name they've carved out for themselves among headphone listeners. It's possible that those people recommending the KZ just have different preferences.

That said, if you want to avoid sibilance at all costs, and you seem to be interested in iems...
I'd also recommend the Dunu Titan 1/Fiio EX1 (a rebrand with some small material changes)
And the RE600 V2.

The X2 is still my top recommendation.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 17
I found the Shure 535 to be pretty solid, but I do have issues with occasional peaks in the treble. To be honest, you may want to get some more listening experience in at a show or meet. I know few people who extol the virtues of Bose sound reproduction, and probably to my own ignorance, never heard of the KZ ED9. But I don't know of many, if any at all, audiophiles who claim that a particular headphone is universally amazing, so much as headphones that suit their own tastes. Even the HD800's don't have universal love, despite the name they've carved out for themselves among headphone listeners. It's possible that those people recommending the KZ just have different preferences.

That said, if you want to avoid sibilance at all costs, and you seem to be interested in iems...
I'd also recommend the Dunu Titan 1/Fiio EX1 (a rebrand with some small material changes)
And the RE600 V2.

The X2 is still my top recommendation.

The SE535 is at least 3.5x the price of SE215. Way of out of my budget. I doubt the SE215 will even be close to it.
You're absolutely correct, I realized this late though.

The X2, RE600 V2 are way out of my budget, but thanks for the suggestions. Maybe should I get just another pair of earpods now and save for better ones?

The thing is, I'm 17 now (hence the tight budget :p ) and I live in a small city of Kerala, India where there is no way to get some listening experience. Heck, here they don't sell earphones/headphones worth more than 25$. :frowning2:

I first considered the EX1 but then saw this review and decided not to go for it. Apparently, the hiss sound is no better in this thing.
ex1.jpeg

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #13 of 17
The SE535 is at least 3.5x the price of SE215. Way of out of my budget. I doubt the SE215 will even be close to it.
You're absolutely correct, I realized this late though.

The X2, RE600 V2 are way out of my budget, but thanks for the suggestions. Maybe should I get just another pair of earpods now and save for better ones?

The thing is, I'm 17 now (hence the tight budget :p ) and I live in a small city of Kerala, India where there is no way to get some listening experience. Heck, here they don't sell earphones/headphones worth more than 25$. :frowning2:

I first considered the EX1 but then saw this review and decided not to go for it. Apparently, the hiss sound is no better in this thing.
I would disagree with that review, in earnest.
Some points of agreement:
The cable noise, also called microphonics, exists. There's a small "thud" sound if your cables are moving around, banging into your shirt or other objects that is clearly audible.
Isolation isn't the best, because they're a semi-open design.

Where we disagree:
No hiss sound exists, at all, at least in my Dunu Ttians, and I had no complaints of such a sound from a pair of Fiio Ex1's I sent to my friend as a christmas present.
The mids are good, but slightly recessed because of the overly present bass. The treble is present but controlled, without the extension or forward presentation you would get from the Shure's.
I personally find the mids and treble too recessed, in comparison to the Shure's, but they are also a much more relaxed, and don't fatigue me at all, which the Shure's do.

I find it highly likely this user got a defective pair of the Ex1's.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 17
ICYMI - 1More is available for INR8099 at Amazon in a Lightning Deal. Best price you can get in India! :D

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 17
I would disagree with that review, in earnest.
Some points of agreement:
The cable noise, also called microphonics, exists. There's a small "thud" sound if your cables are moving around, banging into your shirt or other objects that is clearly audible.
Isolation isn't the best, because they're a semi-open design.

Where we disagree:
No hiss sound exists, at all, at least in my Dunu Ttians, and I had no complaints of such a sound from a pair of Fiio Ex1's I sent to my friend as a christmas present.
The mids are good, but slightly recessed because of the overly present bass. The treble is present but controlled, without the extension or forward presentation you would get from the Shure's.
I personally find the mids and treble too recessed, in comparison to the Shure's, but they are also a much more relaxed, and don't fatigue me at all, which the Shure's do.

I find it highly likely this user got a defective pair of the Ex1's.

The microphonics and noise isolution would still be better than the earpods rights? Initially I dropped this option cos of the isolation problem but since I'm okay with Earpods, I guess I'll be okay with that too..?

I can maybe try the EX1 too cos Amazon provides easy returns. It's worth a try right?

ICYMI - 1More is available for INR8099 at Amazon in a Lightning Deal. Best price you can get in India! :D

It's available in eBay for approx 5K from China.. Although without warranty. I don't see a reason to spend 3k more for nothing :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back